Chapter 5: A distraction

As soon as we walked into the restaurant, everything screamed wealth
From the diamond chandeliers to the live jazz performance, I was amazed.
A waiter guided us towards our reserved table whilst I watched everything in awe.
We entered an elevator and I felt so excited. Elliott gave my hands a gentle squeeze and I flashed him a grin, unable to hide my excitement.
The elevator opened with a ding and another waiter continued leading us.
We walked down a hallway until we were face to face with curtains made of marbles.
The waiter bid us a goodbye smile and also left.
"After you m'lady." Elliott said in a British accent which was quite impressive.
"Well thank you, my kind sir." I responded with an excited giggle.
I pushed away the curtains, Elliott closely behind me and i gasped at the beautiful sight infront of me.
We were on the rooftop. The place was magnificent.
The rooftop was adorned with flowers and greenery, giving the place a lush and serene look. There were comfortable love couches which were currently occupied by couples.
In the middle of the rooftop was a beautiful water fountain.  The place was   lighted up with candles and fairy lights making everything look so magical and surreal.
Unlike downstairs, soft music played in the background as couples all around us talked and laughed.
A stunning glass railing surrounded the rooftop, giving a beautiful view of the night stars. In the distance, one could see the city lights flickering like little stars.
"This way." Another waitress said and lead us to our table.
No, we didn't get one of those lush looking love seats.
I was still awed, clearly amazed.
"I'm taking from your facial reaction that you like it." Elliott said with a little chuckle.
"Like it, I love it. The place looks so enchanted." I was still in awe.
"Have I told you how beautiful you look?" Elliott said, making me feel all shy.
"No, you haven't." I replied honestly,  tucking a loose strand of her behind my ear, a nervous habit I have to get rid of.
"I'm sorry about that. I was just really awestruck when I saw you earlier. You look gorgeous Jayna." He said, reaching his hands across the table and taking mine in his.
I knew I was blushing. After all, I felt the heat as it rose to my cheeks.
"You're not too bad yourself." I replied.

****************
The date was amazing. Honestly, it was one of the best dates of my life. Elliott had me laughing and giggling throughout. I found out his favourite colour was blue, he loves seafood and was extremely allergic to pineapples.
"I had a really good time today, Jayna". Elliott said.
The date was over and we were currently on my doorstep.
"Me too". I said with a little smile.
"I hope we'll be able to do it again." Elliott replied, a little blush settling on his cheeks.
I nodded quietly and took out my keys from my clutch.
"Good bye Jayna." Elliott whispered, pressing his lips gently unto my cheeks. I felt my heart beat speed up as my breath hitched. My stomach fluttered, as if there were little people having a crazy dance party in there.
He slowly pulled back. I'm sure I looked like a tomato then and there.
Elliott retreated into his car and drove off, leaving me breathless and dazed.
The door suddenly opened, and Kim pulled me inside excitedly.
Penny was giggling and had a little blush on her face.
"Girl, you are so red right now." Kim said.
"He was so sweet and cute." Penny said with a dazed look.
"And that little peck he gave Jay." Kim continued.
They both squealed at the same time.
"Were you guys eavesdropping." I said, coming back to reality.
"Duhhh." Kim replied.
"Tell us everything." Penny pulled me into one of the chairs.
Kim took a seat to my left and Penny yo my right."
"How was it?" Kim asked.
"It was nice, fun." I replied.
"That's all?" Kim asked
"What do you want me to say guys?" I groaned, taking off my heels.
"Where did he take you, what did you eat, we want the details Jay." Kim shook my hand.
"Kim, it was just a date. We did what normal people do on dates. Eating and talking."
"So, are you guys a thing now?" Penny asked.
"No. It was only a date." I answered.
"Do you want it to be something more." Kim asked.
"No." I answered abruptly to which Kim frowned and Penny sighed.
"Well, it's late and I'm tired. I'm going to bed." Penny announced and left leaving Kim and I.
"It won't be bad if you put yourself out there Jay." Kim said concerned.  I furrowed my eyebrows at that.
"What do you mean, "put yourself out there"." I quoted her words.
Kim sighed. "You have to stop hiding Jay"
"I am not hiding Kim." I responded.
"Yes you are." She argued. "This is the first date that you've been on, on your own free will in three years." She continued.
"What do you want from me Kim." I replied honestly confused.
"I want you to be happy Jay. I want you to trust people. Not everyone is out to betray you. You have to let someone in." She said giving me a genuine smile.
I felt the hair on my arms and back stand as I understood what she was saying.
"I can't do that Kim. I just can't." I shook my head no.
She passed me a sympathetic smile and I hated it.
"Think of him as a distraction." With that,  she left, leaving only me and my demons behind.
As I laid in bed, I thought about what Kim said. And with that, I drifted of into sleep.