A Conversation Over Breakfast

I was up early for prayers along with the rest of the staff, at least, most of them. A few seemed fine just sleeping upon their small cots. Including Flo. However no matter what happened I would never stop sending my prayers to God. Once we were done Agatha hustled me into a room where she tossed me a deep brown dress, an apron and something to comb my hair. She didn't move and I assumed that meant I was to change in front of her. I hesitantly peeled away my dress until I was in my underwear before swiftly donning my new dress, amazed at how soft the fabric was, as well as warm. The second I slipped it on I didn't want to take it off, ever. Wrapping the apron around my waist I let Agatha examine me, making sure it wasn't too big or small. The sleeves were a bit long but I would no doubt grow into them. With a grunt of approval she then picked up the comb and began to work on my hair...oh no. Well, let's just say it hurt, a lot, like she was yanking out each and every hair on my head. She continued to clean the comb on a rag, complaining of nits and the horrid state of my hair as well as how pretty it could be if I brushed it more often. I stayed silent, gnawing savagely on my bottom lip to keep from making any sounds. Once she was done she dunked my hair in something that smelled strong and lemony. Once she was done I looked at my hair, finding it cleaned and fresh smelling. Before I could thank her she shoved me in her usual way to a table where Flo sat and began to make me knead dough for bread, showing me how. Flo waited until Agatha had lumbered off before giggling.

"You're hair got hit by the fruit wave didn't it?" I gave her a look of confusion.

"That what?" I asked. She giggled again.

"It's something the rest of the staff joke about for newbies, it's a fruit sorta mixture that Agatha puts in your hair to make it smell good and get rid of pests, can't have nits falling into the food when you cook now can you?" I felt bashful, I was as cleanly as I could be with my living conditions, it was apparent that not everyone had the materials to keep them clean. She then looked me over and gave a smile. "Your hair is rather pretty, all dark and mysterious, the master is sure to find you interesting." I shook my head.

"My hair could be the color of the sun and it wouldn't matter to me what the master thought of me. As long as I keep this job he can think my hair looks like a dead rat or that of an angel." That was a lie, oh I felt guilty but I couldn't say I hoped he would notice, no matter how much I wanted to. My hands began to ache from kneading the dough and finally another servant helped us put the kneaded bread into the oven and very quickly we were set onto another chore, neither of us getting a moment's rest. This is how the morning went until at about nine Agatha came up to me, a beam on her large ruddy face.

"Ah, perfect, now you are Edith are you not?" I was surprised, she wanted me? I gave a small,

"Yes?" She grasped me by my arm.

"The master would like you to deliver him breakfast right now. What you must do is bring him the tray and he'll usually want to speak to you. Hurry up and don't spill a thing!" I felt my body go cold as if frozen in place. I barely managed to shriek out.

"What? Why me?" She continued to push me pass the rest of the toiling servants.

"You are new and as such he enjoys new conversations from new people often. Come on, take the tray and go upstairs. He's in his bedroom which is up the stairs the third door to the left. Go on!" She urged, handing me a tray filled with fresh bread, jams, small meat patties, tea and a cup of something that smelled like coffee, but not the thin kind my parents usually drank, it smelled rich, as rich as the man about to drink it. I fumbled, quickly grasping the large tray and staying upright. Ever mount about five plates on a large tray and try to carry it if someone tossed it to you while you tried not to spill a thing? Well, that's how it felt getting the tray from Agatha. She nodded approvingly and gestured for me to go up. I looked at the stairs and gulped before turning to Agatha for guidance to find her yelling at another servant about some sort of stain. Flo however gave a grin and motioned for me to go up. Not wanting to be on Agatha's bad side I hurriedly began to stumble up the stairs, giving a small squeak every time the tea threatened to topple onto the stairs. Finally, and I do mean finally I was up the stairs and panting at the struggle it had been. But I had made it. Keeping a careful eye on the liquids I quieted my growling stomach at the fragrance of seasoned meat and fresh bread before taking careful steps into the hallway and into the partly open room, stopping dead as voices came my way.