Bedtime Stories

After dinner Cornelius took his guests back to the parlor, all of them sitting and facing the young lord. I had managed to catch a glimpse of him standing beside the fireplace, a hand on the mantle as he surveyed his guests with sly delight. Once they were all sitting he clasped his hands, putting his fingers to his lips.

"Now that we're stuffed like Christmas turkeys I do suggest we tell stories, perhaps that will give us each a little piece of history to take home with us tonight. Anyone wish to start?" No one rose to the challenge, causing him to pout, a look that made the women titter and blush at the incredibly childish look.

"Aw come now, don't be shy. They are merely stories. Any brave soul wish to start?" He asked sweetly. Suddenly the woman from before, who had commented on Cornelius' strawberries, spoke up.

"Could you tell one Cornelius? I do believe I want an example." She asked, causing all the women to agree, even the men seemed rather hesitant. God forgive me I hated that woman! I surely hoped he would see through her act and make her leave. How happy I would be! Cornelius smiled from behind his fingers, a look of mystery on his face.

"If you wish Claire, now what should it be? A romance? A horror story? Perhaps I will have you all on your toes with a mystery. Or chuckling because of a comedy? Ah I do believe I have one, a true story, one with me and my father when I was no older than 10." Everyone leaned in as the lord began his tale, including me.

"When I was in India with my father and mother we decided to go hunting for wild animals. My mother stayed in the room, taking in the warmth of the sun. My mother absolutely hated the gloom which is why she'd rather absorb the sun before my father dragged her off somewhere cold and frigid. My father however, enjoyed all weather, he loved exploring even more. So, he took me along with him on a hunt, armed with a rifle, a few bullets and two knives. I had the same. A guide showed us to a more discreet road where more creatures would live and thrive. But as we walked I grew curious and like the naughty boy I was I wandered off, blazing a path of my own..." he said, excitement in his voice, like a little boy boasting of his dangerous deeds. Just like that. I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder, nearly making me yelp before I realized it was only Agatha. And she watched Cornelius with a soft, affectionate look as he told his story, a faint smile on her lips.

"Agatha, am I in trouble?" I hissed quietly, looking up at her in concern. Agatha merely sighed, still watching Cornelius.

"So much a child, so playful and teasing and amusing. I doubt he'll ever grow up. But that's what makes him so very special. That he shows the child inside and boldly does as he pleases. He reminds me of Henry, my own little boy." I was very surprised, never had I known Agatha was married or even had children. She looked and acted like someone who had little time for children.

"What became of him?" I whispered. She kept looking at Cornelius, not saying a thing for a long time before she murmured.

"Gone, just like his father. Out the door and never to return. Cornelius is just so much like him, so much it hurts." She breathed, her voice a hushed sound against my ears. I didn't say anything, merely kept watching as Cornelius told his story.

"And I stepped over a log, now I had learned from the snake to prod where I would stop or I would be screaming and jumping about. And when I did I heard an irritated mewl, like a kitten. Curious as ever I jumped over the log, finding a baby tiger hiding beside it! I lured it into my arms with bits of dried meat and called it Stripe. Scooping the beast into my satchel I had to carry it all the way back to my father who by then was looking everywhere for me. When he found the animal in my bag he began to sputter and yell while Hampton gave me mortified glances and I merely laughed, hugging the animal close. That's when the tiger appeared, the mother searching for her baby. Unarmed Hampton, my father and I began to run, with me still holding the baby tiger! The mother followed us and Hampton, being the slowest of the three, yelled at me to let it go. Eventually I did and they returned to the forest, only after tearing our camp apart. We had to hide in trees until we were sure the two were gone. So alas, I returned without a pet and my father without a pelt. But Lord I must say, never in my life have I run so very fast, nor seen my father or Hampton scream so very much." Agatha and I laughed with the crowd, listening to them applaud and comment upon his story, earning many compliments from the women of the crowd. And as a man rose to tell his own story Agatha tugged my shoulder.

"Well Edith, I do believe it's time forour own Christmas dinner."ribut�c�T�a+