11

The sun had barely risen when Amelia’s phone buzzed with a text message. Groggy from sleep, she squinted at the screen to find a message from Grace, who had evidently been up for hours. It was a photo of Harrison’s coffee maker, now filled with bright green dye.

Amelia chuckled, her mind racing with ideas for how to set up the prank. By the time Harrison stumbled into the kitchen, still half-asleep, Amelia was already there, trying to hide her grin.

Harrison poured his coffee, only to be greeted with a green, bubbling mess. His eyebrows shot up in surprise as he stared at the coffee pot.

“What on earth—?” he began, before noticing Amelia trying to suppress her laughter.

“Good morning, Detective!” Amelia called out, her voice barely concealing her amusement.

Harrison’s gaze settled on her, amusement dancing in his eyes despite the morning’s chaos. “You’ve really outdone yourself this time.”

Amelia shrugged with a grin. “Just a little morning fun.”

Harrison shook his head, chuckling as he rinsed out the coffee pot. “You know, one of these days, I’m going to get you back for all these pranks.”

As he prepared a fresh cup, Amelia’s heart skipped a beat when he glanced her way, his playful smile melting into something more genuine. Despite the morning’s lighthearted chaos, there was a warmth in his gaze that made Amelia’s pulse quicken.

A Fun Day Out

Later that day, Amelia and Grace headed out for a much-needed break. Their plan was to hit the shopping mall and catch a movie, a simple outing that promised to be a relaxing escape from the stress of their recent experiences.

At the mall, Amelia and Grace wandered through stores, trying on clothes, and sampling snacks. They giggled over fashion choices, and Grace was in high spirits, enjoying the carefree atmosphere. Amelia was glad for the distraction, even if a part of her remained uneasy about Harrison’s cryptic behavior and the ongoing investigation.

As they moved from store to store, Grace brought up Harrison. “So, Amelia, what’s going on with you and Harrison? You two seem to have this… chemistry.”

Amelia shrugged, pretending to be nonchalant. “We’re just working together. Nothing more.”

Grace raised an eyebrow, clearly unconvinced. “Really? Because it looks like there’s a lot more going on there.”

Amelia shook her head, laughing. “It’s just the stress. We’re both dealing with a lot right now. It’s nothing.”

Grace eyed her skeptically but didn’t press further. Instead, she suggested they grab lunch before heading to the movie theater.

After a delightful lunch, they headed to the theater to catch a new thriller. Amelia and Grace settled into their seats, enjoying the suspenseful plot and the occasional jump scares. Amelia found herself completely absorbed in the film, the tension and excitement of the movie serving as a welcome distraction.

But as the movie reached its climax, Amelia’s sense of security was abruptly shattered. She felt a sudden, cold sensation on her neck and turned to find a man staring at her with cold, calculating eyes. The man’s face was familiar, though she couldn’t place him immediately.

Her heart raced as the man’s hand grabbed her shoulder roughly. Amelia struggled to react, but the man’s grip was firm. Panic surged through her as she tried to call for help, but the movie’s loud soundtrack drowned out her cries.

Grace, noticing Amelia’s distress, jumped to her feet and began to scream for help. The man, realizing he had been spotted, tried to drag Amelia out of the theater. In the chaos, a security guard intervened, tackling the man and wrestling him to the ground.

Amelia’s breathing was shallow as she stumbled back, her pulse racing. She glanced at Grace, who was beside her, trembling but unharmed.

The police arrived quickly, taking the attacker into custody. Amelia was left shaken but unharmed. The man was identified as one of Daniel Cross’s associates, adding a new level of danger to the already tense situation.

Harrison, having been alerted to the incident, arrived at the theater with an urgency that was palpable. His face was a mask of concern as he scanned the area, finally spotting Amelia and Grace.

As he reached them, Harrison pulled Amelia into a tight embrace, his arms wrapping around her protectively. “Are you okay?” he asked, his voice low and urgent.

Amelia, still shaken, clung to him for a moment before pulling back slightly. “I’m fine. Just a little shaken.”

Harrison’s eyes searched hers with an intensity that made Amelia’s heart race. “I’m glad you’re safe. I was worried.”

Amelia nodded, her voice soft. “Thank you for coming.”

As the officers took statements and gathered information, Harrison and Amelia stayed close, their earlier tensions melting away as they supported each other through the ordeal.

Amelia and Harrison headed back home, the weight of the events hung heavily between them. The attack had added a new layer of seriousness to their situation, but it had also brought them closer together.

Later that night, as Amelia lay in bed, she couldn’t help but replay the day’s events in her mind. The movie, the attack, and Harrison’s concern had left her feeling a mixture of fear and gratitude. She had been reminded of how much she relied on him and how deeply their relationship had grown.