Fractured Ties

The morning light filtered through the curtains, casting faint stripes across the floor of my bedroom. I woke up with a sense of unease that had become almost routine. The attack at the mall had left me rattled, but the news Harrison had hinted at before he left for work had me more anxious.

He'd mentioned something about a new lead that could change everything. I was desperate to know more—so desperate that I'd decided to go to his office unannounced.

Dressed in a smart but casual outfit, I grabbed my bag and headed out, my mind racing with thoughts of the investigation. The lead Harrison had mentioned could be crucial, and I wasn’t about to sit around waiting for him to share details.

Arriving at Harrison's office, I took a deep breath and pushed open the door. The receptionist, who I barely knew, looked up with surprise.

“Amelia! What can I do for you?” she asked, clearly taken aback by my sudden appearance.

“I need to see Harrison,” I said firmly. “It’s urgent.”

The receptionist hesitated, then picked up the phone to call Harrison. Moments later, I was ushered into his office. Harrison looked up from his desk, his expression shifting from surprise to irritation.

“Amelia,” he said, his tone a mixture of frustration and concern. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to talk about the case,” I said, trying to keep my voice steady. “You mentioned a new lead. I need to know what’s going on.”

Harrison’s eyes narrowed. “This isn’t a game, Amelia. It’s dangerous. I told you I’d update you when it was appropriate.”

“I don’t need you to protect me, Harrison,” I shot back. “I’m already involved, and if you think you can keep me out of this, you’re wrong.”

He stood up, his face flushed with anger. “It’s not about protecting you. It’s about keeping you safe. There’s more at stake here than just our research.”

“Safe?” I echoed, feeling my frustration boil over. “Every time I turn around, I’m in more danger because of this case. You’re not making it easier by shutting me out.”

Harrison ran a hand through his hair, his expression pained. “I’m trying to balance keeping you safe with getting this job done. And right now, there’s a critical lead that needs to be followed up on, and I can’t afford to have you in the middle of it.”

“Then let me help!” I demanded, my voice rising. “I can’t just sit back and wait. I need to be involved.”

The room was charged with tension, and for a moment, I saw the vulnerability behind Harrison’s anger. He was worried, and that worry was making him push me away.

“Fine,” he said finally, his tone colder but still filled with underlying intensity. “You want to be involved? Here’s what I can tell you: we’ve found a connection between the recent attacks and a larger criminal network. There’s a name—Daniel Cross—that keeps coming up. He’s deeply involved in this, and we’ve just started to scratch the surface.”

My heart skipped a beat. “Daniel Cross? I’ve come across that name before in my research. What does he have to do with all this?”

Harrison looked at me, his eyes filled with a mix of frustration and something else I couldn’t quite read. “Cross is a major player in human trafficking. His operations are extensive, and we’re just beginning to understand how they’re connected to the recent murders. We need to proceed carefully, and that’s why I didn’t want you involved.”

I took a deep breath, trying to process the information. “So this isn’t just about the boutique or the murder? It’s part of a much bigger operation?”