Chapter 56

"Okay, Ms. Jackson, everything looks great. Your blood pressure is good and all of your levels are in a great range. Would you like to see your baby?" LaToya smiled.

"Yes."

"Alright. Let me go get our ultrasound machine." The doctor left.

"Oh my gosh." LaToya rubbed her hands on her lap.

"How do you feel?"

"I'm so excited, mother. I'm nervous too though."

"I was nervous when I first got pregnant too, but you'll get more comfortable with the idea and it'll just be exciting."

"I hope so." She shook her legs. "Thanks for coming with me."

"Of course. I'm getting another grandbaby. Of course I'd love to meet its father." Katherine eyed LaToya. Naturally, her being pregnant was shocking because no one even knew she was seeing someone.

"Mother." She laughed.

"I'm serious. Who is this guy? Does he treat you well? Is he prepared to be a father? Does he know you're pregnant? I mean who is he?" Katherine came over by the bed.

"I met him while visiting dad's office. He treats me very well. He knows I'm pregnant and he's very excited. You'll meet him soon."

"Why not now? Why not...."

"Mother, you'll meet him soon. He's very busy with a work assignment right now."

"What does he do?" She folded her arms.

"He works in security, but he just started his own contracting business. He does house flippings."

"Does he make good money?"

"Yes. He actually helped pay my bills when Jack first did all the stuff."

"You needed help paying bills? Why didn't you come to us?"

"He had already paid them. Then he drove me to my appointments and to errands when I wasn't healed up yet." Katherine nodded her head.

"Okay. Does he have any other children?"

"No. There was a little girl that he thought was his but the girl was lying to him because the real father was in prison."

"That's messed up."

"Yeah. So this happening is very exciting for him."

"Marriage? Have y'all discussed it?"

"We have." LaToya stopped talking and Katherine looked at her.

"Well?" LaToya smiled. "Toy don't mess with me."

"Fine. He wants marriage, but he doesn't want to make any steps towards proposing without you and dad's blessing."

"Yet, he got you pregnant."

"That was a slip up."

"MmmHmm. I'm sure it was."

"Mother!"

"What? Men are slick. He could've done this on purpose." LaToya sighed and smiled at her mother.

"He didn't, but I do appreciate you being concerned."

"Of course I am. You're my baby and I gotta make sure I don't have to kill this guy." LaToya laughed.

"You don't."

"Good." Katherine hugged her and kissed her forehead.

"Alrighty." The doctor came back in with the ultrasound machine. "Sorry for the wait. A couple of our machines broke and we've been using the same three. So I had to wait for the other doctor to finish and then I had to clean it and disinfect it. Ughh." The doctor hooked everything up.