V

Lukas had hoped that the strange encounter with Liam in the library would settle something between them, or at least give him a clearer understanding of where they stood. But instead, it only seemed to deepen the confusion. Every interaction felt like a game of chess—careful, strategic, with neither willing to fully reveal their hand.

The days that followed were a frustrating blur of near-misses and stolen glances. Liam was always there, always on the periphery of Lukas's awareness, and it was starting to drive him crazy. Lukas found himself hyper-aware of Liam's presence in a way that was both exhilarating and unsettling. It was as if Liam had become a magnet, pulling him in even when he tried to keep his distance.

The tension between them simmered just beneath the surface, unacknowledged but impossible to ignore. It was there in the way their eyes would lock across a crowded hallway, in the way their conversations danced around the edges of something deeper, something neither was ready to confront.

But it was also in the way Lukas couldn't stop thinking about Liam—the way his thoughts would drift back to him at the most inconvenient times, leaving him distracted and unsettled. He hated how much space Liam seemed to occupy in his mind, how little control he had over his own emotions when it came to him.

One afternoon, after a particularly tense exchange during lunch, Lukas decided he needed to clear his head. He had no interest in heading home just yet, where his thoughts would only continue to spiral. So instead, he found himself wandering through the nearby park, the crisp autumn air doing little to calm the turmoil inside him.

Lukas walked along the winding paths, trying to focus on anything but Liam. The vibrant colors of the changing leaves, the distant sounds of kids playing, the faint rustling of the wind through the trees—all of it was a welcome distraction, but it wasn't enough. No matter how hard he tried, his mind kept drifting back to Liam, to the way he seemed to effortlessly get under Lukas's skin.

After what felt like hours of wandering, Lukas finally found himself at a secluded spot by the lake, the water calm and still, mirroring the sky above. It was quiet here, peaceful, and for a moment, Lukas allowed himself to relax, letting the tension in his shoulders ease as he took in the serene surroundings.

But the peace was short-lived.

"Didn't expect to see you here."

The voice startled Lukas, his heart leaping into his throat as he turned to see Liam standing a few feet away, hands in his pockets, his expression unreadable.

Lukas's first instinct was to bristle, to throw up the walls he'd been carefully maintaining. But something in Liam's tone, in the way he was looking at him, made Lukas hesitate.

"Didn't expect to be here," Lukas replied, trying to keep his voice steady.

Liam nodded, his gaze drifting to the lake. "I come here to think sometimes. It's quiet."

Lukas didn't know what to say to that. The idea of Liam needing a place to think, to escape, didn't fit with the image he had of him—the confident, untouchable athlete. But then again, nothing about Liam seemed to fit into any of the neat boxes Lukas was used to.

They stood in silence for a moment, the only sound the gentle lapping of the water against the shore. Lukas could feel the tension between them, thick and unyielding, like a line drawn in the sand. It was a line they had both been careful not to cross, but standing here, alone together, it felt like they were inching closer to it.

"What's your deal, Lukas?" Liam asked suddenly, his voice cutting through the quiet.

Lukas blinked, taken aback by the question. "My deal?"

"Yeah," Liam said, turning to face him fully. "You keep showing up, acting like you want to figure me out, but then you pull back like you're scared of what you'll find. So what's your deal?"

Lukas felt a surge of frustration. He hadn't come here for this—for another round of whatever game they were playing. He had come here to get away, to clear his head, and now Liam was here, throwing his own confusion right back at him.

"I don't have a deal," Lukas snapped, the words coming out harsher than he intended. "I'm just trying to figure out why you keep showing up in my life."

Liam didn't flinch at the tone. If anything, he seemed more determined. "Maybe I'm trying to figure you out too."

Lukas stared at him, unsure of how to respond. The intensity in Liam's gaze was unnerving, and Lukas felt that familiar fear creeping in—the fear of what it would mean to let Liam in, to cross the line that had kept them both safe.

"Why?" Lukas asked, his voice quieter now, almost pleading. "Why do you care?"

Liam's expression softened, and for a moment, Lukas saw something in his eyes—something raw and real, something that scared him more than anything else. "Because you're different," Liam said, his voice low. "And I can't stop thinking about you."

The words hung in the air between them, heavy and undeniable. Lukas felt his heart pound in his chest, a mix of emotions swirling inside him—fear, excitement, confusion. He hadn't expected this, hadn't expected Liam to admit something so vulnerable, so real.

But the vulnerability only made the tension worse. Lukas didn't know how to handle this, didn't know what to do with the emotions that were threatening to overwhelm him. All he knew was that this—whatever it was—was more than he had bargained for.

"I need to go," Lukas said abruptly, stepping back. He couldn't do this, couldn't stand here and let Liam break down the walls he had spent so long building.

"Lukas, wait," Liam called after him, but Lukas was already turning away, his heart racing as he fled the scene.

He didn't stop running until he was far from the park, his breath coming in ragged gasps as he tried to process what had just happened. Liam had crossed the line—had dragged Lukas across it with him—and now everything was a mess of emotions Lukas wasn't ready to face.

As he finally slowed to a walk, Lukas realized that keeping his distance from Liam was no longer an option. The line had been crossed, and there was no going back. Whatever happened next, they were both in it now, for better or worse.