XI

Lukas had never felt more alone than he did in that hospital waiting room. The stark white walls and the sterile smell of antiseptic seemed to close in around him, suffocating him with their emptiness. The fluorescent lights buzzed overhead, casting a harsh, unforgiving glare on everything they touched. Lukas's hands were shaking, his mind spinning with a thousand thoughts that refused to settle. He had been pacing the floor for what felt like hours, but time had lost all meaning.

Every time he closed his eyes, he saw Liam—standing on those bleachers, swaying dangerously, his face twisted with pain and anger. The sound of his body hitting the ground played on a relentless loop in Lukas's mind, a sickening thud that echoed in his ears, drowning out everything else.

"Lukas?"

The voice broke through the fog of his thoughts, and Lukas looked up to see Corrin standing in front of him, concern etched across his face. Lukas hadn't even heard him arrive.

"How is he?" Corrin asked softly, though Lukas could see the answer in the haunted look in Lukas's eyes.

"They haven't told me anything yet," Lukas replied, his voice hoarse from lack of sleep and too much shouting. "I don't know... I don't know if he's going to be okay."

Corrin stepped closer, his hand resting on Lukas's shoulder in a gesture of comfort, but Lukas couldn't feel it. He was too numb, too consumed by the guilt that gnawed at his insides like a parasite.

"Lukas, this isn't your fault," Corrin said, his voice firm but gentle. "You did everything you could. Liam... he was hurting, and none of us saw it coming. You're not to blame."

But Lukas couldn't accept that. He pulled away from Corrin, shaking his head. "I should have done more," he whispered, his voice cracking. "I should have known."

Before Corrin could respond, a door at the far end of the waiting room opened, and Lukas's heart leapt into his throat. A doctor stepped out, and behind him, a woman with tired eyes and worry lines etched deep into her face followed. Lukas recognized her immediately—Claire, Liam's mom. She looked older than he remembered, her usual grace and composure replaced with a weariness that Lukas hadn't seen before.

Lukas froze, his breath catching in his throat. He didn't know how to face her, how to explain what had happened, how to tell her that he had failed to protect her son.

But when Claire's eyes met Lukas's, there was no anger there, no accusation. Instead, her expression softened, and Lukas felt his chest tighten with the weight of her empathy.

"Lukas," she said, her voice soft and full of understanding. She stepped toward him, her movements slow and deliberate, as if she were afraid he might break if she moved too quickly. "I'm so glad you're here."

Lukas blinked, his mind struggling to process her words. "I—" His voice faltered, and he looked down at the floor, unable to meet her gaze. "I'm so sorry, Mrs. Matthews. I should have... I should have done more."

Claire's hand reached out, gently lifting Lukas's chin so that he had no choice but to look at her. There was a kindness in her eyes that made Lukas's heart ache even more. "You don't need to apologize, Lukas," she said softly. "I know how much you care about Liam. I've seen it, even if he hasn't said anything."

Lukas felt tears welling up in his eyes, and he quickly blinked them away, not wanting to break down in front of her. "But he's still... he's still in there because I didn't do enough."

Claire shook her head, her thumb gently brushing away a tear that had escaped down Lukas's cheek. "Liam's struggles aren't your fault, Lukas. He's been carrying this burden for a long time, long before you came into his life. But since you've been here, I've seen him smile more, laugh more... he's opened up in ways I haven't seen in years. That's because of you."

Lukas swallowed hard, trying to hold back the sob that threatened to escape. "But he's still hurting," he whispered. "And I don't know how to fix it."

Claire's hand moved to rest on Lukas's shoulder, her grip gentle but reassuring. "Sometimes we can't fix things, Lukas. Sometimes all we can do is be there, to let the people we care about know they're not alone. You've done that for Liam. You've been there for him when he needed someone the most."

Lukas wanted to believe her, but the weight of his guilt was too heavy. He had seen the way Liam had looked at him before he fell—the pain and the hopelessness in his eyes. Lukas knew that Liam was slipping further away, and he was terrified that he wouldn't be able to reach him in time.

The doctor approached them then, his expression serious but not grim. "Mrs. Matthews, Liam is stable. He's resting now, but he's going to need some time to recover from his injuries."

Relief flooded through Lukas, but it was short-lived. The doctor's tone shifted, becoming more somber. "Physically, he'll heal. But... it's clear that Liam is struggling with something deeper. I'd strongly recommend that he see a mental health professional once he's discharged."

Claire nodded, her hand tightening slightly on Lukas's shoulder. "Thank you, doctor. We'll make sure he gets the help he needs."

The doctor nodded and left them alone, leaving Lukas feeling even more adrift. The reality of the situation was settling in, and the fear of what might come next was almost too much to bear.

"I need to see him," Lukas said, his voice trembling with desperation. "Please, Mrs. Matthews... I need to see him."

Claire looked at Lukas for a long moment, her eyes filled with a mix of sadness and understanding. Then, she nodded. "Come with me, Lukas."

Lukas followed her down the sterile hallway, his heart pounding in his chest. When they reached Liam's room, Claire paused, placing a hand on Lukas's arm to stop him.

"Lukas," she said quietly, "whatever happens, just remember that Liam cares about you. He may not be able to show it right now, but he does. And no matter what, you've made a difference in his life. Don't forget that."

Lukas nodded, though he wasn't sure he could believe her. The fear that he might lose Liam, that he might not be enough to pull him back from the brink, was overwhelming.

Claire opened the door, and Lukas stepped inside, his breath catching in his throat at the sight of Liam lying in the hospital bed. He looked so small, so fragile, with tubes and wires connecting him to the machines that monitored his every breath.

Liam's eyes were closed, his face pale and devoid of the fire that had once burned so brightly. Lukas approached the bed, his legs feeling like they might give out at any moment. He sank into the chair beside Liam, his hand trembling as he reached out to take Liam's hand in his own.

The contact was like a lifeline, grounding Lukas in the present, even as the fear threatened to pull him under.

"I'm here, Liam," Lukas whispered, his voice thick with emotion. "I'm right here. Please... please don't leave me."

Liam didn't stir, but Lukas kept holding his hand, his grip tightening as the tears finally began to fall. He didn't know how long he sat there, but eventually, he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. Claire was standing beside him, her eyes filled with unshed tears.

"Lukas," she said softly, "you should go home, get some rest. I'll stay with him."

But Lukas shook his head, his voice firm despite the exhaustion in his bones. "I'm not leaving him. I can't."

Claire didn't argue. She simply nodded, understanding in her eyes, and stepped back, giving Lukas the space he needed.