XIII

A week had passed since Liam's fall, and though the physical wounds were beginning to heal, the emotional scars remained raw and unyielding. Lukas sat in the familiar chair beside Liam's bed, his eyes heavy with exhaustion, but his determination unwavering. He had made a promise—to himself, to Claire, and most importantly, to Liam—that he would be there, no matter how long it took.

Liam's recovery was slow, each day a battle between hope and despair. The doctors had been clear: physically, Liam would mend. The concussion, the fractured ribs, and the sprained wrist would all heal in time. But the emotional and psychological toll—the trauma that had driven Liam to the brink—would take much longer to address.

Lukas noticed the first signs of change one morning when Liam's eyes opened, and for the first time in days, they didn't immediately close again. There was a flicker of recognition there, a brief moment where Lukas saw something familiar, something that hadn't been completely consumed by the darkness.

"Liam?" Lukas's voice was soft, filled with cautious hope. "Can you hear me?"

Liam's eyes, though still clouded with confusion, locked onto Lukas's. He didn't speak, but his hand, which had lain limp on the bed for so long, twitched slightly, the fingers curling as if trying to grasp something just out of reach.

Lukas's heart swelled with emotion as he reached out, gently taking Liam's hand in his own. "It's okay," Lukas whispered, his voice trembling. "You're safe now. I'm here."

For a long moment, neither of them moved. Lukas didn't dare breathe, afraid that any sudden movement might shatter the fragile connection they had finally reestablished. But then, slowly, Liam's hand tightened around Lukas's, weak and shaky, but unmistakably there.

Lukas couldn't stop the tears that welled up in his eyes, a mixture of relief and overwhelming emotion. It was the first real sign of life he had seen in Liam since that awful night, the first indication that maybe, just maybe, Liam was beginning to find his way back.

"Liam," Lukas said again, more firmly this time, "it's me. You're going to be okay. We're going to get through this together."

Liam's eyes flickered with something—a shadow of the fear that had plagued him, but also a glimmer of something else, something almost like trust. His lips moved, but the words were too faint for Lukas to hear.

"It's okay," Lukas reassured him. "You don't have to say anything right now. Just rest."

Liam seemed to accept this, his grip on Lukas's hand loosening slightly as exhaustion took hold. His eyes fluttered closed again, but this time, Lukas didn't feel the same crushing despair. This time, he knew that Liam was still in there, still fighting, and that gave him the strength to keep going.

The following days were filled with small victories. Liam began to respond more frequently, his eyes staying open for longer periods, his hand reaching for Lukas whenever he was near. The doctors and nurses were cautiously optimistic, and Claire, who visited every day, found hope in these tiny but significant steps forward.

Lukas, however, knew that the road ahead was still fraught with uncertainty. Liam's physical recovery was progressing, but his emotional state was still precarious. There were moments when Liam would retreat into himself, his eyes losing focus as if he were slipping back into the void that had almost consumed him. During those times, Lukas felt a pang of fear that perhaps Liam would never fully escape the darkness.

It was during one of these quiet afternoons, when Lukas was sitting beside Liam, that Dr. Hamilton arrived. Lukas had grown used to the doctor's calm, reassuring presence, but today there was a different energy about him—something more determined, more focused.

"Lukas," Dr. Hamilton greeted him with a nod. "How are things today?"

"Better," Lukas replied, glancing at Liam, who was resting but not fully asleep. "He's... he's making progress."

Dr. Hamilton smiled faintly. "That's good to hear. I'd like to try something today, if you're up for it."

Lukas's brow furrowed in concern. "What is it?"

Dr. Hamilton pulled up a chair and sat across from Lukas, his expression serious but kind. "Liam has been through a significant trauma, as you know. His physical injuries are healing, but we need to start addressing the emotional and psychological aspects of what happened. I'd like to begin our sessions today, with your help."

Lukas felt a knot of anxiety form in his stomach. He knew that Liam needed help, but the idea of delving into the pain and fear that had brought him to this point was daunting. Still, he nodded. "I'll do whatever it takes."

Dr. Hamilton's smile returned, more genuine this time. "I know you will, Lukas. You've already done so much for Liam, just by being here. Now, it's time to take the next step."

They began slowly, with Dr. Hamilton asking Liam simple, non-threatening questions, encouraging him to express his feelings in whatever way he could. At first, Liam was hesitant, his responses brief and vague, but with gentle coaxing from both Dr. Hamilton and Lukas, he started to open up, revealing glimpses of the fear and pain that had been festering inside him for so long.

Lukas watched as Liam struggled to articulate the emotions that had nearly destroyed him. It was heartbreaking to see how deeply Liam had been affected, but it was also a relief—finally, they were confronting the demons that had haunted Liam, and though the process was painful, it was necessary for his healing.

By the end of the session, Liam was exhausted, both physically and emotionally. But there was also a sense of release, as if a weight had been lifted, if only slightly. Lukas could see it in the way Liam's shoulders relaxed, in the faint but genuine smile that played on his lips as he looked at Lukas.

"Thank you," Liam whispered, his voice barely audible, but filled with sincerity. "Thank you for not giving up on me."

Lukas squeezed Liam's hand, his own eyes misting with tears. "I'll never give up on you, Liam. Not ever."

As Dr. Hamilton left them alone, Lukas felt a renewed sense of hope. The road to recovery would be long and difficult, but they had taken the first steps together, and that was all that mattered.

For the first time in what felt like forever, Lukas allowed himself to believe that there was a future for them—one where they could heal, grow, and maybe even find happiness together. It was a fragile hope, but it was real, and Lukas clung to it with all his might.