XIV

The days following Liam's first therapy session were a blur of progress and setbacks, a dance between hope and despair. Lukas remained steadfast, his presence a constant source of comfort for Liam, but the emotional toll was beginning to weigh heavily on him as well. The more he learned about Liam's past, the more he realized just how deeply his friend had been wounded.

It was late in the evening, the hospital quiet except for the distant hum of machines and the occasional footsteps of the night shift nurses. Lukas sat by Liam's bedside, watching as he slept. The dark circles under Liam's eyes had lessened, but the haunted look in his gaze remained, a stark reminder of the battles he was still fighting.

Lukas's thoughts drifted back to their earlier conversation with Dr. Hamilton. Liam had shared more about his past—the constant fear, the isolation, the overwhelming sense of worthlessness that had consumed him. It had been heartbreaking to hear, but it also explained so much—the way Liam had withdrawn from everyone, the way he had tried to push Lukas away despite their growing connection.

But there was something else that had been gnawing at Lukas, something that Liam hadn't yet shared. He could see it in the way Liam's eyes would darken when certain topics were broached, the way he would tense up at the mention of his father. Lukas knew there was more to the story, something that Liam was still too afraid to confront.

As he watched Liam sleep, Lukas's resolve hardened. He couldn't let this go on—Liam needed to face whatever it was that had driven him to the edge, no matter how painful it might be. And Lukas would be there, every step of the way, to help him through it.

The next morning, when Liam woke, Lukas was ready. He greeted Liam with a soft smile, masking the turmoil he felt inside. "Morning," he said, keeping his voice light. "How are you feeling?"

Liam's gaze was distant, his expression guarded. "I'm... okay," he replied after a moment, but Lukas could tell he was holding something back.

Lukas took a deep breath, steeling himself for what he was about to say. "Liam, I've been thinking... about what you've told me so far, about your dad." He paused, watching Liam's reaction. As expected, Liam stiffened, his eyes narrowing slightly in discomfort. "I know it's hard to talk about, but I think... I think it's important that we do."

Liam's jaw clenched, and for a moment, Lukas feared he might shut down completely. But then Liam looked at him, really looked at him, and something in his expression softened. "Why?" Liam's voice was barely above a whisper. "Why do you want to know?"

Lukas hesitated, choosing his words carefully. "Because I care about you, Liam. And I want to help you heal. But I can't do that if I don't understand what you're going through."

Liam's eyes filled with uncertainty, but there was also a flicker of something else—maybe trust, maybe a desperate need to finally unburden himself. He looked away, his fingers nervously picking at the blanket draped over him. "He... he was always so angry," Liam began, his voice trembling slightly. "Nothing I did was ever good enough. If I messed up, even a little..."

He didn't finish the sentence, but the implication was clear. Lukas's heart ached for Liam, for the child he had once been, subjected to such cruelty. "Liam," Lukas said softly, reaching out to gently touch his arm, "none of that was your fault. You didn't deserve any of it."

Liam's shoulders shook as he tried to hold back tears. "I know that... logically," he admitted. "But it's hard... it's hard to really believe it. He made me feel so worthless, like I didn't matter."

Lukas's chest tightened with emotion. He wanted to pull Liam into his arms, to shield him from all the pain he had endured, but he knew that wasn't enough. Liam needed to confront these memories, to face them head-on if he was ever going to move forward. "You do matter, Liam," Lukas said firmly. "You matter to me. And I'm going to help you see that, no matter how long it takes."