XII

The world outside the hospital felt impossibly distant to Lukas as he sat by Liam's bedside, the steady beeping of the monitors the only sound in the room. He hadn't slept, hadn't eaten—he couldn't bring himself to do anything but sit there, watching Liam's chest rise and fall, each breath a small reassurance that he was still alive.

But the Liam lying in that bed was a shadow of the boy Lukas knew. The lively spark in his eyes was gone, replaced by a hollow emptiness that terrified Lukas more than he could admit. It was as if Liam had retreated deep inside himself, unreachable, even by Lukas.

Claire had stayed with Lukas for a while, offering quiet words of comfort, but eventually, she had gone home to rest, leaving Lukas alone with his thoughts. The darkness of the room seemed to mirror the darkness in Lukas's heart, a suffocating weight that pressed down on him from all sides.

He kept replaying the events of the night before in his mind, over and over again, each time wishing he had done something differently. If he had just gotten there sooner, if he had said something else—anything that might have stopped Liam from falling apart.

But the harsh truth was that Liam's fall wasn't just a physical one. It was the culmination of weeks, maybe months, of pain and pressure that had finally become too much to bear. And Lukas didn't know how to help him climb back up from the depths he had fallen into.

As the hours dragged on, Lukas found himself wondering what had pushed Liam to this point. He knew about the pressure Liam felt to succeed, the weight of expectations that had been placed on his shoulders. But there had to be more—something deeper that Lukas hadn't seen, something that had been gnawing away at Liam until there was nothing left but fear and despair.

The door to the room creaked open, and Lukas looked up, half-expecting to see a nurse or a doctor. But instead, it was Claire, her face drawn with worry, but her eyes warm as they met Lukas's.

"Any change?" she asked softly, though she already knew the answer.

Lukas shook his head, his voice barely a whisper. "No. He's still... he hasn't woken up."

Claire nodded, her expression pained but resolute. She moved to stand beside Lukas, her hand resting on his shoulder in a gesture of support. "He will, Lukas. It's just going to take time."

Lukas wanted to believe her, but the fear that had been gnawing at him wouldn't let go. He looked down at Liam's pale face, his heart breaking a little more with each passing second. "What if... what if he doesn't want to wake up?"

Claire didn't answer immediately. Instead, she took a seat beside Lukas, her gaze fixed on her son, her expression unreadable. "Liam's been through a lot," she said quietly. "More than I think even I realized. But he's strong, Lukas. He just needs to remember that."

Lukas swallowed hard, his throat tight with emotion. "What if he's forgotten? What if he's lost that strength?"

Claire turned to Lukas, her eyes filled with a mix of sadness and determination. "Then we remind him. We show him that he's not alone, that he has people who love him and need him. That's what you've been doing, Lukas, even if you don't see it."

Lukas felt tears prickling at the corners of his eyes, but he blinked them away, not wanting to break down again. "I don't know if it's enough," he admitted, his voice trembling. "I'm scared that I'll lose him, that no matter what I do, it won't be enough."

Claire reached out, taking Lukas's hand in hers. "You're doing everything you can, Lukas. And that's all anyone can ask. Liam... he's been in a dark place for a long time. But I believe that with you by his side, he has a chance to find his way back."

Lukas nodded, though the fear in his heart didn't lessen. He looked at Liam, willing him to wake up, to open his eyes and see that he wasn't alone, that Lukas was still here, waiting for him.

But the hours passed in silence, and Liam remained still, locked in whatever dark place his mind had taken him to.

As night fell once more, Lukas found himself drifting off to sleep in the chair beside Liam's bed, exhaustion finally overtaking him. His dreams were a tangle of fear and memories, images of Liam smiling, laughing, and then slipping away into the darkness, unreachable.

When Lukas awoke, the room was still dark, the only light coming from the dim glow of the monitors. He blinked, disoriented, until he realized that something had changed. Liam was no longer lying motionless in the bed—his eyes were open, and they were fixed on Lukas.

Lukas's heart leapt into his throat as he leaned forward, his voice hoarse with emotion. "Liam? Liam, can you hear me?"

Liam's eyes, though open, were glassy and unfocused, as if he were looking through Lukas rather than at him. His lips moved, but no sound came out, just a faint, rasping breath that sent a jolt of fear through Lukas's chest.

"Liam, it's me, Lukas," he said, his voice trembling. "I'm here. You're okay. You're safe."

For a moment, it seemed like Liam was trying to respond, his lips moving again, forming a word that Lukas couldn't quite make out. But then his eyes fluttered closed, and he slipped back into unconsciousness, leaving Lukas staring at him in a mix of relief and terror.

Claire was at the door, having entered quietly while Lukas was speaking to Liam. She had heard enough to see that Liam was slipping in and out of consciousness, and she approached the bed, her expression grave.

"He's trying, Lukas," Claire said softly, placing a hand on her son's forehead. "He's trying to come back."

Lukas nodded, though the fear still gnawed at him, the fear that Liam's mind was too far gone, that he wouldn't be able to pull himself out of the darkness.

As the night wore on, Lukas remained by Liam's side, his hand wrapped around Liam's, refusing to let go. He whispered words of comfort, of hope, praying that somehow, someway, Liam would hear him and find the strength to return.

But in the back of his mind, another fear was taking root—a fear that whatever had driven Liam to this point wasn't just about the pressures of life, but something deeper, something darker that neither Lukas nor Claire had fully understood.

And as Lukas sat there, the seeds of doubt and worry began to grow, casting long shadows over the fragile hope that had kept him going.