Julie Faints

Julie's POV:
I was in there at the hospital; Bliss was administered. My eyes have turned red from crying already. The sound of the machine beeping made my heart beat faster, echoing through the sterile halls of the hospital. I sat in front of the door thinking about her, the scent of antiseptic lingering in the air. I felt uneasy and peeped through the glass mirror on the door. Nurses and doctors were around her doing something I couldn't understand, their blue scrubs a contrast against the white walls. All I knew was that they were trying hard to save her life.

My mind recollected the week earlier. I and Charles were still arguing about whether to let Sam know the truth when an unknown number called. I didn't want to answer it but on a second thought, it was worth answering. The phone's ring filled the room, creating a sense of urgency. "Who knows, it might be an important call?", I thought. I went out of Charles' view and answered the call. I didn't want him poking his nose, in case it was Sam calling. "Please come to MedStar Washington Hospital Centre. I don't know what's happened to my daughter. Please she's dying on me. Don't let her. Please I beg of you, come quickly ", the call ended. I didn't need anyone to tell me who just called. Of course, I knew! It was Bliss's mum, Madam Stella.

I hurried up to Charles. "Charles, we need to move over to Washington right now; Bliss needs us," she said.
Charles just gave me an eye of pity mixed with anger at my stubbornness. "Don't worry, I will call my driver", he said as he picked up his phone to call the driver.
In some hours time, we were at the hospital. I asked the nurses around about the ward Bliss was in, giving an accurate description of her. They shook their heads in pity and directed us to the ward. We saw Madam Stella beside the door crying. "Ma, what's wrong? Is Bliss okay?", I asked, the scent of disinfectant lingering in the air. She just looked at me and cried the more. "The doctor said that he will try his best. She wasn't opening her eyes or talking to me. Then, I remembered you guys. I can't handle this pain alone." she sobbed more. "I'm still alive; I can't let her die," she cried further.

I bent over to her and wiped her tears. "She will be fine. I'm sure she wouldn't want to see her mum in this state", I said, trying hard to conceal my tears. Immediately, someone passed me a handkerchief, the rough texture of the fabric meeting my fingers. There's no need to overthink; who else if not Charles? "It's okay if you want to cry. You can wipe your tears with this", he said, his warm hand pressing the handkerchief into mine.
I could feel the emotions behind his voice. I just stared at him and replied with a quick "Thank you."

The doctor came out sweating profusely, the sterile scent of the hospital wafting through the air with him. "She's okay for now. But she needs some rest. The disease is acting fast. It has affected her heart badly. I'm sorry, she will not survive this for long", the doctor said, as he went to attend to other patients.
Immediately I heard this; I was faced with the realization that Charles' words brought. Of a truth, there was no need to lie to myself. Bliss's time was fast approaching.

I looked at her mum imagining the kind of pain she must be going through now. After two hours, we were allowed to see her. Her mum rushed over and hugged her, her perfume embracing the air. "Baby, you had all of us worried. Don't mind that stupid doctor. I know you are not leaving me, right? You will stay with me and play our chess together", she said, bringing out the chessboard in her bag all this while. "You've always wanted to be better than me", she said, tears running down her eyes.

Bliss couldn't hold this anymore. "Mum, stop, you're making me cry", she said, collecting the chessboard.
"Let's play. I bet you that I will win this time. If that's the last thing I do before I..........", she quickly paused, wearing a fake smile. "Ok baby, if you say so", her mum said as she arranged the pieces.

I was suddenly brought back to the present by Charles' hands around my neck. "Is she going to be okay?" I asked him, not minding he wasn't a doctor. I just needed to hear that she was going to be alright. I remembered the threat her mum gave her. "Bliss if you leave me alone in this world, I will drink poison and die", she warned. Her sickness was becoming more frustrating and hopeless with her constant loss of consciousness.
This one was more severe than the others. Before Bliss passed out, she had made me make her a promise never to let Sam know about her illness or, worse still, her death. What more could I do? I couldn't disobey the wish of a dying person.

The memories we all shared back then at Beckford gave me an intoxicating feel, and I could feel a headache fall upon me, but I couldn't let my eyes off Bliss. Suddenly, my legs began to wobble and I found my head hitting against the hard tiles. "Julie! Julie!", I heard Charles call as he shook me. I tried to lift myself but the pain around my head couldn't allow me. My eyes became blurry and that's when I fainted.