Chapter-1.

Five Years Ago

Radha

"Radha, please, do it now. It’s not too late; we still have time. If you miss this chance, you'll regret it your whole life. Trust me." Gayatri said with a knowing look. I stood there, utterly confused. If I confess, as she suggested, things would drastically change, but what if it doesn’t work? What if I have to live with the knowledge that Mama will never love me the way I love him?

I ascended the staircase slowly. Each step felt heavier than the last. It’s not easy to confess your true feelings—feelings of love to someone as special as Mama. He has always been special to me. I was just a baby when he was already ten years old. He always said that I fit perfectly in his arms, so small and precious. It felt surreal when he said that. But even after I grew out of my teenage years and my feelings for him deepened, he still saw me as a child.

I tried to suppress my feelings for him, I really did. But he was always there for me—through my worst and best moments. I lost my mother when I was young, leaving me with no one to rely on except my father, who was always busy managing our lives. Mama stepped in and stayed by my side, even during the most awkward and embarrassing phases of my adolescence.

I sighed, looking ahead. Mama was standing by the workers who were tying up the pandhal, securing the ropes to anything they could find. I wished this were easier. Lord Muruga, please be with me, I prayed.

I walked towards him, and memories flashed before my eyes like a film reel—our days together from as far back as I can remember. The day he dropped me off for my first day of school, the time he hugged me when I felt sad that I didn’t have a mother like the other kids, the day I won my first prize at school and he ran to embrace me. He always celebrated my achievements more than anyone else. The time when he took off his shirt to cover my blood-stained skirt during my first period. Every moment, every day, replayed in my mind.

I took a deep breath and stood beside him. Before I could say anything, he spoke. "I’m nervous, Radha. Really nervous." He sighed deeply, gazing up at the stars. "I’m nervous for myself, for my life to change after tomorrow, for her—the woman I’m going to spend the rest of my life with. I’m nervous."

I slowly reached for his hand. "Mama?" He turned to me and smiled, despite his exhaustion from all the rituals.

"I’m ready, though, for this adventurous life ahead. I’m not confident I’ll be perfect, but I’ll do my best for her. And if I make mistakes, my Radha will be there to correct me, won’t you?" He smiled again. His words pierced my heart, but I knew I had to say this—as Gayatri said, I would regret it if I didn’t.

"Mama..." He hummed in acknowledgment, waiting for me to continue. I swallowed, gathering all my courage. "Mama, I love you." The words came out in a breath. He fell silent, then smiled and ruffled my hair.

"I love you too, Radha." But no, no. He wasn’t understanding.

"No, Mama. I’m in love with you," I clarified, and his smile faltered as realization dawned. His eyes narrowed in confusion, as if he was processing something incomprehensible.

"Mama, I’ve been in love with you for a long time. I wanted to tell you sooner, but everything happened so fast with your marriage. I want to spend my life with you, beside you, as your wife." My voice trembled. He didn’t say anything at first. Slowly, he removed my hand from his shoulder and stepped away.

Oh no.

"What did you say, Radha? You’re in love with me? This is just infatuation, Radha." His tone was sharp, dismissive.

"No, Mama, it’s not infatuation!" I said firmly, but his eyes—his eyes were filled with a look that would haunt me forever.

"Radha, I think it’s best if you leave now and stop this nonsense," he said coldly, turning away. I reached for his hand, but he shoved me off.

"Mama, please—" I pleaded, but he shook his head, disgust flickering across his face. Tears welled up and streamed down my cheeks.

"I regret this, Radha. I regret giving you so much space in my life, for trusting you. I never imagined you’d stoop so low as to say you love me like this." His words shattered me, piece by piece.

"Mama!" I sobbed, but he ignored my cries.

"Don’t call me that! Just stop. Everyone warned me to stay away from you. They said you’d mistake kindness for love. I defended you, Radha. I told them you were different. How could you do this to me?" He grabbed my arm roughly, his words slicing through me.

"I hate you, Radha. You’ve ruined everything. Do you know what would happen if someone heard this? You’d destroy my life, and hers. How can you be so selfish?" His voice dripped with anger, and then he pushed me, and I stumbled to the ground. But the physical pain was nothing compared to the agony in my heart.

"I hate you, Radha. Don’t ever show me your face again." His final words echoed in my mind as he walked away, each step crushing me further.

I sat there in the pouring rain, broken, exhausted, unable to move. I’m sorry, Mama. I’m so sorry.

---

Murugan

I stood by the window, a cigarette dangling from my fingers, though I hadn’t taken a drag in a while.

That night was a nightmare. I stood at the bottom of the stairs, just outside the door. I heard her crying, and it tore me apart, but I had to do what I did.

I wasn’t the right man for her. I thought she would grow out of it, find someone who deserved her. Tears slipped from my eyes as I listened to her sobs. I had never seen her cry like this before. It broke me, but I stayed hidden, out of her sight.

I stayed there until dawn, and when no one was around, I slipped back to my room. That day, the woman I was supposed to marry eloped with her lover. That day took everything from me. It took away my trust in marriage, and it took Radha away from me too. She withdrew from my life, emotionally and physically. Even when she came home for her semester breaks or later when she started working, she avoided me. But yesterday, I saw her again, in her room.

I sighed, putting out the cigarette and popping a mint chocolate into my mouth.

There was a knock on my door. I took the flower garland and placed it around my neck, fixing my hair and adjusting my clothes.

"Anna, come quickly. The pandit is calling you." Today, I’m marrying Radha—the girl I’ve always held dear in my heart, the girl whose love I rejected.