CHAPTER 14 :- "FRIENDS?"

AUTHOR'S POV:-

Reyansh continues to fake cough, each sound more pronounced, as Riya rushes in with a glass of water, her mom close behind, worry etched on her face. Riya hands him the water, which he grabs eagerly and gulps down, hoping to mask his ruse.

Riya's mom, concerned, asks sharply, "Are you okay, Reyansh? What’s going on with you? You’ve been coughing nonstop!"

Reyansh forces a smile, saying, "I’m fine, aunty. It’s probably just a cold."

Riya's mom narrows her eyes, her worry evident. "You need to take care of yourself, beta."

Reyansh nods, trying to sound reassuring. "Of course, aunty."

Riya's mom nods. "Okay, you guys continue," she says, picking up the finished food plates. She exits the room, leaving Reyansh and Riya to carry on with their studies.

As always, Reyansh pretends to listen, but beneath that calm facade, a storm rages, dark and consuming. It’s as if he’s drowning, struggling for air, and the only oxygen that can save him is in her presence. Every inhale of her scent is an act of desperation, a twisted ritual to feed his insatiable obsession. His gaze never leaves her, an unblinking, almost predatory fixation that borders on terrifying.  It’s as if looking away for a second would rip his soul from his body, killing his very essence.

Riya: [closing her notebook] "That concludes our session for today. Do you have any questions, Reyansh?"

Reyansh:  "No, not at all. Thank you for everything."

Riya: [with a soft smile] "You don’t need to thank me every time. It’s perfectly fine."

Reyansh: "But I can’t help it. You’ve been a tremendous help."

Riya: [gently] "It’s just common courtesy to help someone in need."

Reyansh: [with a sad smile, voice low] "And that’s exactly why I’m grateful—because you’re helping me out of courtesy, not friendship. But I understand. You’re not obligated to consider me a friend. Sometimes… I wonder if I’m just a burden to you."

Riya: [concerned] "No, Reyansh, you’re not a burden. Please don’t think that way."

Reyansh: [pretending to be extremely sad, lowering his gaze] "I appreciate your words, but I can’t shake the feeling that I’m just adding to your workload. I’m truly sorry if I’m being too much."

Riya: [noticing his apparent sadness, hesitates, then speaks softly] "Would it help… if I offered to help you as a friend?"

Reyansh: [his eyes snap up, a flicker of something dark beneath his hopeful expression] "Really? You’d be my friend?" [He extends his hand, masking his triumph with a fragile smile]

Riya: [nodding, offering a warm but oblivious smile] "Yes, I would. Let’s be friends." [She takes his hand, unaware of the shadow behind his eyes]

Reyansh: [internally smirking, feeling immensely satisfied] “That’s right, my good girl. Just how I like it.”

Riya: "Okay, let’s head to the living room."

Reyansh: "Yes, of course."

They head back to the living area, where Anjali is lounging on the sofa, watching TV. The moment she spots them approaching, she switches off the television, a welcoming smile forming on her lips.

As they settle down, Anjali turns to them, her gaze flicking between Reyansh and Riya. "So, how was your study session? Reyansh, did you understand everything? Was she able to help you out properly?"