YOU KNOW HOW IT WILL END

Across the corridor was the door into Vito's living space. Paulina trudged down the hallway, she imagined the fortune being held within that briefcase. Her fortune. Her sisters would play no part in this, she didn't associate herself with them anymore.

Her body ached and urged for her to take a break, the blood from her nose trickled down to her lip which left a metallic taste on her tongue, her knees cracked with every bend and extention they took, and her eyelids started to grow heavier by the second, yet she refused to stop now, not when she was so close.

The door was now within reach, she set her hand on the knob as she took a deep breath to calm herself.

It was right across this door.

Once she pushed the door out of the way, she saw it. The brown leather, the golden keyhole, it was the one. This was the end of it.

Paulina sighed in relief, a wave of euphoria hit her system almost instantly. She stumbled over her weak knees to the coffee table this case was held up on, and grazed her fingers over the leather. Blood might have stained the top of it, but none of that mattered anymore. That case was hers.

Footsteps approached from behind Paulina, "You thought you could run? After that?" The voice grumbled.

"Paulo." She mumbled as she stood up straight to turn to him.

"Yeah, it's me." His smile was sinister, he was not willing to let Paulina leave this manor with the case, or leave in general. "Hand over the case." He extended his hand, though he knew Paulina would not comply.

"Why should I?" Paulina shrugged in carelessness, she cursed herself at her words, she knew that this could lead somewhere seriously lethal, but she knew Paulo like the back of her hand. She knew what was about to go down.

Paulo whipped the pistol from his belt, only for Paulina to do the same. Yes, she had lied to her sisters about the concealed pistol within a strap attached to her thigh under her dress, but to her it was for the greater good to keep it a secret. For her own good.

Paulina stared down the barrel of the gun that opposed her, she knew he would never shoot, he was merely bluffing. "Take the shot." She grinned.

"Get away from that case, both of you!" Another voice called from down the hall. The new appearance caught Paulo by surprise as he whipped his head around, only to be greeted by both Daniela and Alejandra as they barely managed to take a step closer due to the wreck Paulina had caused. Daniela continued, "You can't be serious about this... we worked so hard for this Pau!"

"I do whatever I want now Daniela," Paulina hollered from down the hall, "It's too late to change my mind now."

"This fighting is worthless!" Alejandra joined, her voice barely shot through to Paulo and Paulina's ears, "We both have a common enemy, why are you trying to push us out? The Villamizars are the problem, not us!"

Paulo chuckled in amusement at Alejandra's statement, "You think Paulina really hates us?"

Paulina furrowed her eyebrows, "What are you talking about Paulo? I hate you as much as your nothing-but greedy and pathetic older brother."

"If you really hated us," He dropped the gun down to his side, a maniacal chuckle escaped his lips, "You wouldn't have called the police to rat out your sisters the moment before you stepped into that wedding party to steal the key."

Daniela gasped, a hand moved to her mouth as she stood there in disbelief. Her blood ran cold with the even worse betrayal of her younger sister, she did not believe that the hole could get any deeper, yet it did. Alejandra's mouth gaped wide open as she tried to comprehend the revelation Paulo had just revealed, and Paulina could not even begin to fathom how Paulo was even aware of her call.

Paulo started again, "Yeah, I bet you look real stupid now Paulina... I was trying to escape through the back entrance, until I heard your voice from around the corner." He smiled as he found the faces of the Villarreal sisters amusing, "You told them everything."

Paulina brought the gun back to her side, absolutely shaken by Paulo's words. Her sisters did not need to know this, her sisters should have been able to live their lives without knowing how far Paulina's greed would take her.

Alejandra finally developed the willpower to speak once more, "Is this why you crashed us? That wasn't Paulo trying to kill us, that was you trying to render us imobile! You were setting us up for our arrest while you left for the case! We were a diversion!"

"You have no proof." Paulina's voice faltered through her words as she began to grasp that she was the one who really lost.

"Tell that to the judge." Paulo raised his gun back up, pointed directly at Daniela, "I'm going to do the same thing you did to Vito, only this time, the headlines will be filled with your face for the murder of your elder sister... this time, I'll be the one who walks out with the money."

"Get away!-" Paulina jumped at Paulo. She managed to grab his arm and direct it up as the shot was fired, which resulted in a deafening ringing in her ears.

Paulina tackled Paulo to the ground as she pried the pistol from his hand. Daniela ran forward to pull Paulina off of the man as she insisted they make their escape now, but Paulina didn't comply. She fought off her sister's grasp her her wrist as she proceeded to take her own pistol, and began to bash the handle into the skull of the man under her.

Her sisters urged her to stop, their screams echoed in horror. The matter of his brain painted the walls of the living space, just like the P.I. in the hotel room. Each blow felt like a shock of thunder around them, every crack of his skull sounded like the rift that grew between the sisters, every powerful swing told a tragic story of the true malice within Paulina,

The continued moments felt like a blur, as it was filled with nothing but utter rage of what Paulina felt for Paulo. He ruined it all, yet she knew she was the one who was really at fault.

The cue of police sirens snapped her back into reality, along with the warm substance of blood that painted her hands, a feeling all too familiar to her. She couldn't let the police find her like this. She could hear them coming, and looked over at Daniela and Alejandra one last time. Alejandra's face painted an expression of pure horror, while Daniela reached for Paulina's blood-soaked wrist one last time, to which she pushed away.

"I'm sorry." Were the last words she could say to them, like that would fix anything. She turned away from her sisters as she made her escape into the meadow behind the manor. The cold air eased the heat of her skin and allowed a refreshing feeling to coarse through her veins as she ran through the tall grass, concealed from any police.

"Paulina!" Daniela called out one last time, her body ached too much to make a run for her.

The flashlights of the officers blinded the vision of the two other sisters as the cold metal of handcuffs constricted their wrists. The fire in their eyes was replaced with sorrowful tears that traveled down their cheeks. They were betrayed, betrayed by their own blood, and now they were the ones who had to pay for her mistakes.

However, Paulina had her money.

She had her freedom.

She had escaped the shackles of a family bond.

Yet now she felt empty.

What more did she want?