Chapter 2

—————————————————————————————————————

The night of the gala arrived, and Elara found herself standing in front of her mirror, barely recognizing the woman staring back at her. She had chosen a deep emerald green dress that hugged her curves in all the right places, the silky fabric shimmering under the soft light. Her dark hair was styled in loose waves that cascaded over her shoulders, and a touch of makeup brought out the emerald flecks in her hazel eyes.
"Wow," she whispered to herself, a rare smile tugging at her lips. It felt good to dress up again, to feel beautiful. She couldn't remember the last time she had taken the time to do something like this, and for the first time in a long while, she felt like more than just a mother. She felt like herself again. Lila arrived right on time, as promised, looking every bit the socialite in a glittering silver gown. Her blonde hair was swept up in an elegant chignon, and she wore a wide grin as she took in Elara's appearance.

 Her blonde hair was swept up in an elegant chignon, and she wore a wide grin as she took in Elara's appearance

"Ellie, you look stunning!" Lila exclaimed, pulling her friend into a tight hug. "I knew that dress was perfect for you."
Elara blushed, feeling a bit shy under the praise. "Thank you, Lila. You look amazing too."
"Oh, stop it, you'll make me blush," Lila teased, linking her arm through Elara's. "Come on, the car's waiting. We have a fabulous night ahead of us."
As they stepped out into the cool night air, Elara felt a flutter of excitement. The city was alive with lights and energy, a stark contrast to the quiet life she had been living. For the first time in what felt like forever, she was about to step back into the world she had once known, if only for a night.
The car ride to the hotel was filled with chatter, Lila catching Elara up on all the latest gossip and news from the fashion world. Elara listened, laughing and joining in, feeling herself slowly unwind. By the time they arrived at the grand hotel hosting the gala, she was almost giddy with anticipation.

The ballroom was breathtaking, with crystal chandeliers casting a warm glow over the elegantly dressed crowd. The air was filled with the sound of laughter, clinking glasses, and soft music from the live band playing in the corner. Elara took it all in, her heart swelling with a mixture of nostalgia and exhilaration.
"This is amazing," she breathed, her eyes wide as she looked around.
"I knew you'd love it," Lila said with a wink. "Now, let's get some champagne and mingle, shall we?"
They made their way through the crowd, Lila introducing Elara to various people as they went. Elara found herself falling into the familiar rhythm of conversation, her nerves slowly melting away. She was surprised at how easily she slipped back into this world, as if the past few years had been just a brief interlude in her life.

As they moved through the room, Lila suddenly paused, her eyes narrowing as she spotted someone across the room. "Oh my God, Ellie, do you see who that is?"
Elara followed her friend's gaze and felt her heart skip a beat. Standing near the bar, casually chatting with a small group, was none other than Harry Styles. He looked effortlessly stylish in a tailored black suit, his hair slightly tousled, and a charming smile playing on his lips as he listened to the conversation.