Chapter 6

Elara had been savoring the time she spent with Harry, their connection growing stronger with each passing day. Yet, a part of her remained cautious, a quiet voice reminding her of the responsibilities that came with being a mother. She had built her life around her son, Orion, creating a delicate balance between her work and parenting. There was little room for anything else, and the thought of disrupting that balance with a new relationship left her feeling uncertain.

It was a chilly evening, and Elara was settled on the couch, watching Orion as he played on the living room floor. His tiny hands were busy arranging his toys, his brow furrowed in concentration as he carefully stacked blocks to create a makeshift tower. The room was filled with the soft sounds of his imaginative play, and for a moment, Elara found herself lost in the simple joy of watching her son, feeling the warmth of their home wrap around her like a comforting blanket.

Her phone buzzed on the coffee table, breaking her from her thoughts. It was a text from Harry: Mind if I come over? I'd love to see you.

Elara hesitated for a moment, her fingers hovering over the screen. She had been looking forward to a quiet evening at home, just her and Orion, but the thought of Harry's easy smile and warm presence was hard to resist. She tapped out a quick reply, agreeing to let him come over, but as she did, a familiar flutter of nerves stirred in her stomach.

By the time Harry arrived, the sun had dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the room. Elara opened the door to find him standing there with a box in hand, a warm smile on his face.

"Hey," he greeted her, his voice as comforting as ever. "I brought something sweet. I hope you don't mind."

Elara couldn't help but smile back, the sight of him instantly easing some of her tension. "You didn't have to, but thank you. That's really thoughtful of you."

She stepped aside to let him in, and as he walked past her, the scent of freshly baked pastries filled the air, mingling with the comforting aroma of home. Orion looked up from his toys as Harry entered the room, his big eyes widening with curiosity.

Harry crouched down to Orion's level, holding out the box. "Hey there, buddy. I brought some treats. Do you like pastries?"

Orion's eyes lit up, and he nodded eagerly, a shy smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. Elara watched the interaction, her heart swelling with a mixture of emotions. She loved seeing the way Harry made an effort with Orion, how he seemed genuinely interested in getting to know her son. It was a quality that endeared him to her even more, though it also heightened her fears of what could happen if things didn't work out between them.

They settled on the couch, the box of pastries now open on the coffee table. Harry chose one for himself and handed another to Orion, who accepted it with a quiet "Thank you." Elara picked up a pastry as well, though her appetite was overshadowed by the thoughts swirling in her mind.

Harry watched Orion play, his gaze warm and attentive. "He's got quite the imagination," he commented, his voice full of admiration. "What's he building?"

Elara looked over at Orion, who was now engrossed in constructing what appeared to be a tall tower with his blocks. "Right now, it looks like a skyscraper. He's really into construction toys these days. Anything that involves building or creating, he's all over it."

Harry smiled, clearly impressed. "That's amazing. It's great that you encourage him like this. You're an incredible mom, Elara."

The compliment caught her off guard, and she felt a blush rise to her cheeks. "Thank you," she said softly, her eyes meeting his. "I try my best. He's my entire world."