chapter seventeen

---

**Dance of hearts **

I woke up slowly, the soft light filtering through the curtains tugging me from sleep. Yesterday was a blur—the meeting with the producer, and then returning home to find Sam and Theodore leaving together. It was odd, and I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off. I needed to know what was going on.

I got out of bed, slipped on my slippers, and padded down the hall to find Sam. She was already in the kitchen, sipping her morning coffee, looking far too relaxed for my liking.

"Sam, where were you and Theodore last night?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady, though my curiosity was eating at me.

She looked up at me, a playful smile on her lips. "We were just helping him make his ex jealous. No big deal," she said with a shrug, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

I raised an eyebrow, unsure of what to say. Typical Sam—always in the middle of some scheme. "Well, tonight is a big night for Leon," I reminded her, trying to steer the conversation away from whatever mischief she’d been involved in. "He’s throwing a party to celebrate his new song."

Sam’s eyes lit up with excitement. "I know! I picked out some dresses yesterday. I found this stunning fiery red one for myself and a navy one for you. Trust me, it’s perfect!"

I nodded, trying to push down the anxiety that was bubbling up inside me. I wasn’t one for big parties, but I knew how important this was for Leon. And if Sam said the dress was perfect, I trusted her.

Just as I was about to ask her more about the party, my phone rang. It was my mother. I hesitated, feeling a knot form in my stomach, before I answered. "Hello, Mom."

"Elsa, your fiancé wants to chat with you," she said, her voice calm but leaving no room for argument.

I felt like the ground had been ripped out from under me. "Fiancé? We’re not even married yet," I whispered, my voice trembling.

"Your father has already agreed, Elsa. Please, just talk to him," she insisted.

I felt the air leave my lungs. How could this be happening? I was lost in my thoughts, struggling to process what she had just said, when I felt Sam’s hand on my shoulder.

"Elsa, what’s wrong?" she asked, concern written all over her face.

I shook my head, trying to find the words. "I… I don’t know what to do, Sam."

"Hey, we’ll figure it out," she said, pulling me into a hug. Her warmth and strength were comforting. "But first, let’s focus on tonight. We need to get ready, and maybe a little shopping will help clear your mind."

I managed a weak smile, grateful for her attempt to distract me. We spent the afternoon wandering through the boutiques downtown, the elegance of the shops a welcome escape from my troubled thoughts. I ended up buying a pair of classic navy stilettos, which were simple yet elegant. Sam, of course, chose a pair of bold red heels that matched her dress perfectly.

We stopped for lunch at a cozy café, the kind of place that always felt warm and inviting, with the smell of fresh bread and soft music playing in the background. We sat by the window, and for a little while, I was able to forget about everything else, just enjoying the moment.

As we were finishing up, Sam’s phone rang. She answered it, her expression changing as she listened. "Okay, I’ll be ready," she said before hanging up.

I looked at her, my curiosity piqued. "Who was that?"

"That, was Theodore," she said, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "His ex is going to be at the party tonight. He wants to make sure I’m ready to help him with his little plan."