Chapter eleven

.

**A Crazy Night**

I couldn't believe my ears. I knew it was Leon, even though I refused to lift my head to confirm. Anticipating chaos, I tried to handle the situation calmly. Criss gestured for me to step forward, causing my heart to skip a beat. With no other choice, I leaned forward, attempting to steady my frantic mind.

"What would you like to order... Sir?" I was on edge. This was the best job offer I’d ever had, and losing it would be devastating.

"Elsa, I didn't know you worked here. Come join us, please!" Was he determined to ruin everything?

"Sir, may I take your order, please?" Leon stood up, leaning closer. His muscular frame towered over me, sending my heart racing.

The black suit he wore only accentuated his allure. Even when I closed my eyes, I couldn't escape his dominant presence and intoxicating scent, a fragrance I could never adequately describe. I quickly lowered my gaze, stepping back, but he grabbed my wrist, pulling me closer. A surge of anger welled up as I stared into his eyes.

"Are you acting like this because of what happened?" I avoided his gaze, but he persisted.

"Elsa, why won't you even look me in the eyes? You're still mad about what happened, aren't you?" He gently lifted my chin, his deep gaze piercing through me. This man had no shame, disrespecting me in front of everyone. I couldn’t hold back my anger any longer. Images of him kissing and then disrespecting a woman flashed through my mind. I pushed his chest and blurted out, "Does this look funny to you? Are you having fun humiliating me? Is this how you boost your self-esteem by treating women like garbage?"

"Mr. Ricardo, I am so sorry! I apologize for her actions," the manager interjected, rushing to salvage the situation and, of course, to fire me.

"No, no, she is..." Leon, despite his anger, seemed to defend me.

"Fired!" The manager’s declaration hit me hard. Mixed emotions of fear, anger, sadness, and embarrassment overwhelmed me, preparing tears to fall.

"But?" The manager turned, giving me a look of disdain, much like my father used to. "Get out now!"

I left immediately, biting my lip to hold back my tears. I hated being yelled at; it always made me feel insecure and lost. Dark memories of my father, grandfather, aunt, and mother yelling and abusing me flooded my mind. Struggling to breathe, I rushed outside, stopping by a tree to catch my breath, tears streaming down my face. Warm arms enveloped me, offering comfort. I turned away, not wanting Leon to see my crying eyes.

"Elsa, what's wrong? Are you okay?" His concern made me cry harder.

"Elsa, I'm sorry. I'll talk to the owner; everything will be okay."

"It’s not why I'm crying," I managed to say between sobs.

Leon cupped my cheeks, lifting my head. "What is it, Elsa? Did someone say something to you?"

Too sad and broken to speak, I hugged him. Resting my head against his chest, I felt his heartbeat, his strong arms wrapping around me. It felt like a dream, everything surreal. His scent was calming. I didn’t want to let go; I couldn’t get enough of him.

"Let me drive you home, Elsa. It's late." I couldn't protest; my pocket was empty, my phone dead, and it was past ten. I rested my head against the car window, nearly falling asleep. The silence was peaceful. Leon broke it.

"Do you want to call your friend?"

"No, Sam is out of town."

"So, you’re home alone?" His question sounded creepy, but I couldn’t deal with paranoia.

"I'm sorry for what I did tonight, but I swear I wasn’t trying to humiliate you."

"Leon, it’s not just about me. I heard how you talked to that woman!"

"Elsa, I’m not like that. I don’t treat women like garbage! I’ve done a lot of stupid things and been an asshole sometimes, but I respect women."

I hadn’t realized my words affected him so much. I based them on what I saw; they weren’t nonsense. But I couldn’t deal with another fight, so I stayed silent. We arrived faster than usual, likely because there was no traffic or Leon drove faster.

"Are you leaving your car here?" I pointed to the sign forbidding parking on the road.

"There’s no space inside. Don’t worry, it’s just for a few minutes. This is my driver’s car anyway." We walked through the parking lot to the elevator. Leon covered his face with glasses, a hat, and a scarf, hiding from recognition. Finally, we reached my door without anyone noticing him.

"Leon, thank you for the ride. And I’m sorry for the harsh words I said!"

He made me nervous, especially when we were alone.

"No, Elsa, you have the right to say that after what you saw."

"Maybe you’d like some tea or coffee?" I didn’t know why I offered, but I was sure he’d refuse.

"Sorry, Elsa, maybe another time." He put his glasses back on and turned around.

"Be careful!" I realized he was caring and sensitive.

"You too, Leon!" He smiled before covering it with his scarf and leaving.

After a quick shower, I was ready for a good sleep when someone started banging on my door. I panicked, searching for a weapon.

"Elsa!" Leon?!

I opened the door to see Leon, breathless. He quickly stepped inside, closing the door.

"Leon, what happened? Are you okay?"

He was trying to catch his breath. My hair was wet, dripping onto my pajamas.

"Elsa, you were right, they took the car."

"Oh no!"

"Two crazy girls started chasing me."

"Did they follow you here?"

"No, I lost them in the parking lot."

"It’s okay, Leon. You can stay here."

He smiled gratefully. "Thank you." He took off his shoes and sat on the sofa.

"I’ll dry my hair quickly. Make yourself at home." I felt uncomfortable in my shorts, so I went to change.

When I returned, Leon was in the kitchen, looking like he wanted to say something.

"Elsa."

"Yes?" My heart raced, wondering what he would say.

"I’ve been thinking. Since you lost your job because of me, I want to offer you one."

I exhaled, relieved. "I don’t trust people easily, but I trust you. I want you to be my personal assistant."