Chapter ten

.

### Getting Rid of the Fear

**Elsa**

I was taken aback by the sight of Theodore's room, a stark contrast to the rest of the house. The paintings that adorned the walls seemed to scream sorrow, heartbreak, and regret. Apart from a few guitars and an old globe, the room was void of decoration. Black sheets, curtains, and carpet created a somber atmosphere. Theodore took my portrait and placed it prominently in the center. I felt a wave of happiness that he appreciated my work.

"Can I ask you something?" I hesitated, unsure if I should probe into his mental state.

"Yes," he replied.

I exhaled deeply, meeting his gaze. "Is this room a decoration or a reflection of your inner world?"

He was silent for a while before sitting on his bed. "You know, Elsa, no one has ever asked me that, even after seeing both of my rooms. I'm glad you noticed."

Theodore was a nice guy, but he often seemed wounded or lost. I didn't want to push him further, so I decided to offer comfort instead. "We might not know each other well, but if you ever need to talk, I'm here."

He looked relieved and smiled softly. "Thank you."

It was late, so we headed downstairs to find Sam. As we walked past the living room, laughter echoed around us. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a photo of a tall blonde girl in a tight red dress, her long arms wrapped around Leon's neck as she kissed him passionately. He never mentioned a girlfriend; if I had known, I wouldn't have come. Leon's eyes locked onto mine like a bullet. Embarrassed, I couldn't hold his gaze and hurried out, hoping he wouldn't follow.

**Leon**

Seeing Iris again was a shock. We broke up last year after she caught me cheating with one of her friends, which humiliated her. I never had feelings for her; she was just obsessed with me. Her kiss was unexpected. What was she thinking? Girls might do anything to kiss me, but they should have some pride. Things got worse when I saw Elsa. She left immediately, making me even angrier. I had been trying to act kind and generous, but now that was all gone.

Theodore stood in front of me, fake tears in his eyes, barely holding back laughter. That little bastard was enjoying this too much. As I walked away, Samantha hurried past, probably following Elsa. Theodore blocked her, grabbing her wrist. This was my chance to explain things to Elsa.

"Elsa!" She froze but didn't turn around. I moved closer, circling halfway to face her.

"Why did you leave like that?" My question sounded stupid, but my brain couldn't function properly around her. My heart raced, and my head felt sluggish.

"What do you mean, Leon? I didn't want to disturb you."

Her eyes shone like stars, her gaze sharp enough to cut through me. I was terrified of losing her after she saw me with someone else. "No, Elsa, it's not what it looks like. We broke up a long time ago, and..."

She cut me off, looking deep into my eyes. "Leon, you don't have to explain. We're nothing to each other, not even friends."

Her words were confusing, but I was sure of one thing: Elsa meant a lot to me.

Suddenly, Iris screamed my name. "Leo! Leo! Where are you going? Wait for me!"

Her voice grated on my nerves. I didn't care how harsh I was going to be. "What the fuck, Iris? What do you want? Leave me alone! I don't want to see you!"

She slapped me hard, darkening my vision and killing my anger. From a distance, I saw Elsa's car leaving. I prayed she didn't witness this shameful scene.

**Elsa**

Four days had passed since I last saw Leon. He wasn't who I thought he was. Despite his smile, magical eyes, and perfect body, he turned out to be a liar. That night, I couldn't recognize him. His kiss and the way he spoke to that girl made me sick. A gentleman should respect a woman, not treat her like a toy. People, especially women, deserve better.

With everything going on, we desperately needed a new part-time job, even if it meant working in separate areas. My mother had called three times that day, asking for beautiful pictures for a potential husband. I was disgusted. How could they treat me like property? I was their daughter. If I had a daughter, I would do anything to make her happy.

"Elsa, why aren't you answering your phone?" I was angry but held it in. She was still my mother.

"Sorry, I was in the bathroom."

"Send a full-body photo in a long dress, but only show your hands."

I couldn't stand the thought of sending pictures to an old man. But I had no choice but to obey. Life could be miserable, but all I could do was pray.

I heard soft footsteps approaching. Sam was trying to scare me, but I already knew it. "Ice Queen!" I screamed as she appeared in a hairy black monkey mask. That girl was crazy.

"Hahaha, you should have seen your face!" she laughed.

"Sam, what are you wearing?"

"Do you like it? It's my new uniform."

I couldn't believe she agreed to dress up as a monkey. "Sam, please don't tell me you're working at a zoo!"

She laughed even harder. "I'm working as different characters at kids' parties."

"Good luck with that. You don't even like kids."

"Elsa, stop ruining my excitement. At least the salary is good."

Even though Sam was a bit lazy, she would figure it out. "And I got you this number. They're looking for a waitress. You should have an interview."

At that moment, I was ready to do anything. We needed money urgently.

Now I was working as a waitress again, but this place was different. It was a huge restaurant with few tables, each attended by three waiters. It was obviously for the wealthy. Our manager, Hailey, lined us up and gave strict orders like a captain. She threatened to fire us for the smallest mistake.

"Jerry, Emma, Tom, table three. Criss, Tim, and Elsa, table two." I followed Criss and Tim, keeping my head down.

"Elsa?"

That voice. I knew I'd hear it again, but not here, not now.