·. 𝒮𝓅𝒶𝓇𝓀𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝒞𝑜𝓃𝓉𝑒𝓂𝓅𝓉 ·.

THE SUN HUNG low over Merlin Academy, casting long shadows across the cobblestone paths. The Academy was a place where magic lingered in every corner, from the ivy-covered towers to the incident oak trees that lined the courtyard. It was a place of learning, but also of secrets and rivalries, where the most powerful young sorcerers and sorceresses honed their abilities—and clashed with one another.

Maleficent strode through the corridors, her heels clicking against the stone floor, her mind still spinning from yesterday's encounter with Hades. She had spent most of the night trying to figure out why the memory of their dance refused to leave her alone. The way their magic had connected, even for a brief moment, had felt unnervingly right. She wasn't used to feeling the way—especially not around someone like him.

But as she approached the courtyard where she usually met her friends before class, she pushed those thoughts aside. She wasn't going to let Hades get under her skin. She had more important things to focus on, like the looming threat of expulsion if she didn't start attending her classes regularly.

Her friends were already waiting for her by the fountain, where the water sparkled unnaturally, a spell keeping it in perpetual motion. The Evil Queen, with the raven-black hair and a sharp gaze that could cut through steel, was busy admiring her reflection in the water. Cruella, on the other hand, lounged on the edge of the fountain, her signature black-and-white curls framing her mischievous grin.

"You're late," the Evil Queen remarked without looking up, her tone cool and clipped.

Maleficent rolled her eyes. "I had things to deal with."

Cruella smirked, her red lips curling. "What kind of things? Did they involve a certain god of the Underworld?"

Maleficent's expression darkened. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Ah, but you see, darling, when you say things like that, it only makes us more curious," Cruella teased, flicking a lock of white hair over her shoulder.

The Evil Queen finally tore her gaze away from her reflection, her dark eyes narrowing. "You've been distracted, Mal. It's not like you."

Maleficent bristled at the scrutiny. "I'm not distracted. I'm just. . . annoyed. That's all."

"Annoyed by what?" Cruella pressed, her grin widening. "Or should I say, by whom?" she teased.

Maleficent huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Hades."

Both of her friends raised their eyebrows in unison, a rare moment of agreement between them.

"The son of the King of the Underworld?" The Evil Queen asked, her voice laced with intrigue. "Now that's interesting."

"There's nothing interesting about him," Maleficent snapped. "He's insufferable, arrogant, and he thinks he's better than everyone else."

Cruella laughed loudly. "Sounds like someone we know."

"Are you implying something?" Maleficent shot back, her eyes flashing dangerously.

"Not at all, darling," Cruella said, feigning innocence. "Just pointing out the obvious."

Before Maleficent could retort, the sound of footsteps echoed through the courtyard, drawing their attention. Hades appeared, flanked by his brothers, Zeus and Poseidon. The three of them were an intimidating sight, each one exuding power and confidence in their own way. Zeus, with his golden hair and piercing blue eyes, seemed to radiate light, while Poseidon's presence was more like the ocean—calm on the surface, but with a depth that was impossible to ignore.

Hades, of course, was as infuriatingly composed as ever, his dark hair falling carelessly over his eyes as he walked with a swagger that made Maleficent's blood boil.