·. 𝒪𝓁𝒹 𝐹𝓁𝒶𝓂𝑒𝓈 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒩𝑒𝓌 𝒥𝑒𝒶𝓁𝑜𝓊𝓈𝒾𝑒𝓈 ·.

THE NEXT FEW days after Maleficent and Hades' reconciliation had gone smoother than she expected. They hadn't been perfect, but there was an unspoken understanding between them—a delicate truce as they worked through their complicated relationship. They still exchanged their usual banter, teasing each other during dance class and around campus, but it lacked the bitter edge it once had. It was as though they were both cautious not to ruin the fragile peace they'd found.

But then, Persephone arrived. 

It was lunchtime when Maleficent, Cruella, and Eve were lounging outside the grand courtyard of Merlin Academy, a rare break from their usual spot in the dark corners of the school. The sun was shining, the warmth of it almost unusual for the season. Students buzzed around them, laughing and chatting about whatever drama was currently circulating. 

That's when Maleficent first noticed her—Persephone, striding through the courtyard with an air of effortless grace, her long, dark hair cascading over her shoulders like silk. She was striking, no doubt about it—tall and elegant, with piercing green eyes that seemed to capture the attention of everyone around her. But what really caught Maleficent's attention was the way Hades suddenly stopped in his tracks when he saw her. 

Maleficent's gaze followed Hades across the courtyard. He stood a few feet away from her, deep in conversation with Zeus and Poseidon, but now his eyes were locked on Persephone. A strange, uneasy feeling twisted in Maleficent's stomach as she watched Hades' expression shift. He looked. . . surprised. No, more than that. He looked excited

Hades waved her over, and before Maleficent could even process what was happening, Persephone was walking straight toward him, her smile widening as she closed the distance between them. 

"Who's that?" Eve asked, raising an eyebrow. 

Cruella glanced over, uninterested at first, but then her eyes sharpened as she saw Persephone and Hades exchanging a warm hug. "Oh, this just got interesting." 

Maleficent clenched her jaw, trying not to let the sudden rush of jealousy consume her. It wasn't like she and Hades were official or anything, but still, seeing him hug this mysterious girl as if they'd known each other forever was. . . unsettling.

"She's pretty," Eve remarked, oblivious to the tension building beside her. 

"She's insufferable," Maleficent muttered, crossing her arms tightly over her chest. 

Cruella smirked. "What's the matter, darling? Jealous?" 

"Jealous? Me?" Maleficent scoffed, but the words didn't sound nearly as convincing as she wanted them to. "Why would I be jealous?" 

"Oh, I don't know," Cruella teased. "Maybe because she's clearly an old flame, and Hades looks like he's just seen a ghost." 

Maleficent's eyes narrowed as she watched Persephone and Hades talk animatedly, their laughter cutting through the noise of the courtyard. He was smiling in a way that Maleficent hadn't seen in days—relaxed, unguarded. 

"She's probably just an old friend," Maleficent said, though her voice lacked conviction. The longer she stared at them, the more she couldn't ignore the tightening knot in her chest. 

Cruella gave her a knowing glance. "Sure, darling. Just an old friend." 

Eve tilted her head curiously. "You think she's into Hades?" 

Cruella laughed. "Look at the way she's flipping her hair and giggling at everything he says. Of course, she's into him." 

Maleficent's fingers dug into her arms as she crossed them tighter. She hated that Cruella might be right. She hated that she even cared. It wasn't supposed to be like this. She wasn't supposed to feel anything—this thing with Hades was supposed to be fun, like friends with benefits, nothing serious.