May 20

1 week and 4 days have passed, and still not a single sign from Clover. William could not accept the idea of her disappearance. It was too soon for her to disappear. Sometimes, it almost felt as if she gave up, but could she? The agency told him to close the case after 2 weeks complete. They would file it as a completed case where the criminal left or gave up. This was the entire ton would finally be in peace, and no man would ever be afraid of falling for Clover's masked lies again. William did not want to give up this soon. He knew Clover wouldn't give up like this. What he didn't know was if she was dead or if all of this was part of a big plan of hers. He tried to think more deeply about it. Clover must have left an open way for him to follow. She always did that. William was the only man she played around with but never had the intention to go as far as killing him.

"He's been walking around his office table for hours now. I wonder if he feels dizzy at this point." All his colleagues were lined up outside his office, including his secretary Jennifer. Jennifer had always dreamed to be by William's side in every case that he solved and not just only helping him by writing the files or cleaning up his office ,but unfortunately for her, she was just a secretary and William always worked alone. Well, until now. Jennifer was making her way inside his office, pushing through the others. The door opened, and finally, William got distracted and stopped his marching around the table placed on the center of his office.

"Well? How is it going?"-he asked her standing just inches apart from her. His presence always made her skip a breath.

"There are 100 men who are waiting outside the station. They are waiting for a word with you."

"A HUNDRED?!"- William fell to his chair nervously. 100 men lined up to work with him in the Clover case. He felt surprised with the idea of how many men thought that they were capable enough to help solve a crime scene with no experience at all. He thought everyone hated him, but somehow, they were still admiring him for the title he handled. He didn't know if he should be happy or mad. Sudden changes are not a good friend of William's, and working with someone by his side was a big sudden change. He told Jennifer to schedule meetings with all of them and end them by 5 pm sharp. Nice move there William, this way, you will get rid of most of them. Since he didn't want to work with any of them, strong or weak, intelligent or not, this would fasten up the process. He would tell the headquarters that no one was suited for this job. William knew how to manipulate the situation so this would be easy enough.

4:30. Time was on his favor at last, although the people weren't. Almost half of the men finished their interviews in less than 5 seconds, so the plan to cut half of the people off dropped to it's lowest grounds. Most of them showed up seeking vengeance for their brothers or fathers, and the other group were just dropping their insane theories.

Interview 34:

"Why do you think you are capable enough to work with me in this case?"

"Between you and me, I just think you are a really handsome man to work with."

"Next."

Interview 78:

"So what good qualities can you bring to this case?"

"I can do my best, but I think that those detective coats you wear would suit me a lot more."

"Next."

Interview 100:
"So, how will you help me with the Clover case?"

-"Well I have a really good hypothesis that might actually help you to solve this case and figure out how to get onto Clover."

Finally, someone caught William's interest, but why did it have to be the last?

"Go on, what is it that you think?"

"Since Clover has been gone for weeks now, I think that she is a vampire who combusted in daylight!"

"Oh god, I think we are done here."

"But wait! This explains the reason why she only works at night!"

"Out, please!"

"And also, she takes the bodies to drink their blood so she can survive, that's why she does not use weapons, so the bodies remain fresh and full of blood!"

"Jenn, why is he still here?!"-he turned annoyed at her.

Jennifer tried to convince the man to leave the office even though he kept going on and on about his vampire theory. He finally left, saying that he would collect actual proof and show up again.

"I'm not going to lie, but his theory was impressive. Maybe he was worth hiring."

"Yeah, Jenns, I am not really in the mood for your jokes now--"-he turned around his chair to see a female figure standing in front of him. Beautiful wavy red hair falling on her shoulders, green enchanting eyes staring right at him, and a smile so manipulative and sweet. That clearly was not Jennifer.

"Close enough, my name is Scarlett. Scarlett Jones."

"If you are here for the secretary position that is taken by Jennifer, the lady I mentioned earlier."

"I am here to help you with the Clover case. Sir. Trenor, right?"

William looked at her concern. She was wearing a navy petticoat and a beautiful day dress covering her from the neck to the floor. Her bell-shaped skirt was layered in a silk cloth with laces and a soft blue corset hugging her waist. Her parasol kept making continuous thudding sounds on the floor as she waited for an answer from William.

"A woman?"

"Yes. Why does that make you afraid somehow?"

"And what do you think you can do to help me solve this case?"

"Have you ever thought why Clover is so impossible to catch even though she is nothing special from any of the criminals you have got so far? Nothing is entirely special about her. She has new tactics, good ones indeed, but that doesn't make her that quick to escape the scene seconds before you arrive. I mean, what are the odds of her knowing exactly when you will arrive unless.."

"Unless?"

"She is someone who works with you. Here, in the agency. Someone who can learn about your next move before you manage to do it."

William was left speechless and most definitely impressed. Many thoughts had crossed his mind, but this never came near to what he always thought. Scarlett made a strong point that he found really hard to accept, but in the end, he had to. He looked dumbfounded in front of her now. In front of a woman. He always dreamt of being a woman's hero, but never imagined a woman could be his. William, you have a clue now, a clue that never crossed your mind. What are you waiting for? Someone in your office might be walking around secretly being your greatest enemy. Someone you might have trusted with all your life.

"You are hired."-he finally said the words. Scarlett nodded and smiled gently as she looked up to him.