Melody

The morning dew haunted the tall glass windows of Apsley's as the sunlight was creeping through the thin cracks of them. Her long red curls were falling down to her cheeks, reaching the beautifully designed carpets. She opened her eyes slowly, enough for her to realize that the next morning had come sooner than expected. A few days left for them to catch Clover. She got up from the couch hearing the humming sounds of Chiswik next to her. He was still sewing. She looked around for William, but there was no sign of him in the room she was standing. Chiswik saw her looking and stopped his work. "He left about an hour ago." he assured her. The words kept spinning on her head. "What do you mean he left? Where?" she asked, shocked by his sudden disappearance. Chiswik slid a paper card through his table, and Scarlett stopped it with her fingers.

"Don't ask much and don't play the detective either. I will be back by noon, I paid a room at the hotel we first went at. Go there and wait."

She was left speechless, and a rush of anger hugged her feelings. "That son of a fucker!" She left the shop furiously slamming the doors shut. "Don't forget to pick up the costumes after 2 days!" Chiswik shouted from a distance. On the other hand William was walking secretly to an unknown street. It was a dark place even though it was still early in the morning. Rats were jumping from the corners of the streets to the garbage cans. The place was deserted with no one passing by. William seemed to finally reaching where he was headed to. The place was cold, dark and it almost seemed as if it was haunted by deadly spirits. One side of the gate was leaning towards the ground ready to fall while the other was swinging back and fourth making a screeching sound. William was feeling doubtful, but still he decided to enter the gate. The building seemed to have been abandoned for years now but that did not mean that he didn't know about the building. He in fact knew more about that place than anyone ever did. The house had cracks and vines coming out of the windows and the roof. The front yard was surrounded by the burnt remains of the house. His gaze softened as he went to the living room and his eyes landed on a picture. The photograph was half burnt but the portrait of a little girl was still recognizable. At least, for him. He put the frame back to its place and continued walking. The house had two floors, the second was completely burnt but that was where he was headed to. An eerie soothing melody led a new path for William to follow. He found himself in a tiny room with very little things to understand whose room that was before. The melody kept getting stronger as he was approaching the bed. He kneeled down to see a small round box that seemed to be broken. It was a music box. A huge lump on his throat passed by as he opened it. The feeling of emptiness faded across his face, and the memories of that night rushed back in his head.

...
The flames invaded the building quicker than the speed of light. Along with the flames, the horrifying screams were spreading across the halls. "Mother! Mother!" she called repeatedly. Her coughing kept getting worse, and the screams were getting faint. The smoke was taking her breath away, but just in time, he crashed the door open by pushing it with all the force that he had.
"Big brother! Help me, I'm stuck!"
"I am coming, Eleanor!" he assured her.
The smoke kept getting thicker, and his vision got more blurry. He was pushing through the flames, but then he just couldn't anymore. October 8 1898. The morning after one of the greatest disasters in the streets of London happened:
"Big Fire at Trenor Mansion! Only 1 survivor!"
"What is your name, young boy?" an officer asked him.
"William. Where is my sister? Mother and Father?" he asked in a hoarse voice.
"We are sorry, but they did not make it."
William crumbled down completely. He started shaking, and teardrops were falling from his cheeks. "Men don't cry." The officer bowed down, patting his shoulder. "You are alone in this path now. People will think you are weak if you keep it up like this little guy."
"But my sister. I am sure I got her--"
"I am sorry, you lost your consciousness holding her hand. Our team could only reach you. She was stuck under the fallen ceiling."
"Where will I go now?" he asked, unsure of what was going to happen with him.
"You will come with me."
...