Chapter 17: Unwanted Advances

August found herself more entangled in a web of emotions and misunderstandings than ever before. Every time she saw River, the guilt gnawed at her, making her feel like she was betraying something sacred between them. But the pressures from Luca and Olivia were suffocating, and the escape that Luca offered, even momentarily, was a dangerous temptation.

It was late one afternoon when Luca approached August again. She had been working in the art studio, trying to lose herself in her work, but her mind kept drifting back to the uneasy conversation with River the night before. The fear that River was right, that Luca had ulterior motives, weighed heavily on her. But even knowing that, she hadn’t found the strength to push him away completely.

“Hey,” Luca’s voice broke through her thoughts, making her jump. “Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you.”

August gave him a weak smile. “It’s okay. Just lost in my thoughts.”

Luca stepped closer, his presence a mix of comfort and something more unsettling. “You’ve been working too hard, August. You should give yourself a break. I was just about to head out for a walk, and I thought you might want to join me.”

“I really need to finish this,” August replied, though her voice lacked conviction.

“Come on,” Luca pressed, his tone light but insistent. “Just a quick walk. You’ll feel better, I promise.”

August hesitated. The idea of a break, of just stepping outside to clear her head, was tempting. But there was something in Luca’s eyes, a glint that made her uneasy. Still, she found herself nodding. “Okay, but just for a little while.”

The two of them walked through the quiet campus, the late afternoon sun casting long shadows across the grounds. Luca kept the conversation light, talking about everything from the weather to the upcoming art exhibition. He was charming and easy to talk to, but August couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something off about the whole situation.

When they reached a secluded spot near the edge of the school grounds, Luca suddenly stopped and turned to face her. His expression had changed, the playful banter gone, replaced by an intensity that made August’s heart race in a way that had nothing to do with attraction.

“You know, August,” Luca began, his voice low and serious, “I’ve really enjoyed spending time with you. I think… we could be something special.”

August’s heart sank. This was exactly what she had feared, what River had warned her about. “Luca, I… I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

But Luca didn’t seem to hear her, or if he did, he chose to ignore it. He stepped closer, his hand reaching out to brush a strand of hair behind her ear. “You don’t have to be afraid, August. I know you feel it too.”

“Luca, stop,” August said, trying to step back, but he caught her hand, his grip firm.

“Why are you resisting this?” Luca asked, his voice tinged with frustration. “We could be great together.”

“Because I don’t want this,” August insisted, her voice trembling now. “I’m with someone else. Please, let me go.”

But instead of letting her go, Luca leaned in, his lips brushing against hers. The kiss was forceful, overwhelming, everything August didn’t want. She froze, her mind screaming at her to push him away, to do something, but the shock and fear held her in place for a moment too long.

Finally, with all the strength she could muster, August shoved Luca back, breaking the unwanted contact. Her breath came in ragged gasps, her hands trembling as she put distance between them.

“What the hell, Luca?!” she shouted, her voice shaking with anger and fear. “I told you I didn’t want this!”

Luca looked taken aback, his expression a mix of surprise and irritation. “I thought… I thought you just needed a push. I didn’t mean to—”

“I said no!” August’s voice cracked with emotion. “I trusted you, and you… you betrayed that trust!”

Realization seemed to dawn on Luca, his face paling as he took a step back. “August, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to… I just thought you were scared to admit your feelings.”

“I’m not scared,” August spat, her eyes blazing with a mix of anger and hurt. “I’m not interested, Luca. I never was. And you need to stay away from me.”

Luca looked as if he wanted to say more, but something in August’s fierce expression made him think twice. He nodded stiffly, turning on his heel and walking away, leaving August standing there, her whole body shaking with the intensity of what had just happened.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she turned and ran, needing to put as much distance between herself and that moment as possible. She didn’t stop until she was back in the safety of the art studio, the familiar smells and sights grounding her just enough to keep her from breaking down completely.

Her thoughts immediately went to River. She needed to tell her, to explain what had happened before Luca twisted the narrative into something it wasn’t. But even as she reached for her phone, a new wave of fear hit her. What if River didn’t believe her? What if this was the thing that finally tore them apart?

The uncertainty was crippling, but August knew she had to do it. She had to tell River the truth, no matter how scared she was of the consequences.

With trembling hands, she dialed River’s number, praying that somehow, they could find a way through this latest storm.