Chapter 31: Unforeseen Crossroads

The summer before university was supposed to be a time of renewal for River. After the emotional turmoil of the past year, she needed a fresh start. Every corner of her hometown had memories of August, and staying there felt like drowning in nostalgia and regret. So, when the opportunity to transfer to a university closer to home arose, she took it without hesitation, hoping the distance would help her heal.

River moved into her new apartment with a mix of relief and anxiety. She hadn’t even looked into which university August had chosen. The thought of encountering her again seemed too unlikely to entertain. But as she wandered the campus on her first day, familiar sights began to stir a strange sense of déjà vu within her.

It wasn’t until she entered one of the larger lecture halls that reality hit her like a freight train. There, seated near the back, was August. Her hair was a bit shorter, and she looked more mature, but it was unmistakably her. River’s breath caught in her throat, and for a moment, she considered walking out. But there was no denying the truth: fate had brought them to the same place, and now they were once again forced to face what they had left unresolved.

August looked up from her notebook just as River was about to turn away, their eyes locking for a brief moment. The recognition was immediate, and August’s face paled. She hadn’t expected this—hadn’t even considered the possibility. River quickly looked away, her heart pounding in her chest as she hurried to find a seat far from August’s gaze.

For the rest of the lecture, neither of them could focus. The proximity brought back a flood of memories and emotions, ones they had both tried to bury. River’s mind was a whirlwind of thoughts—should she approach August, or should she keep her distance? She hadn’t prepared for this, for the overwhelming rush of feelings that seeing August again had stirred within her.

After class, River bolted from the hall, determined to avoid any interaction. But as she rounded a corner, she nearly collided with August, who had clearly been trying to do the same. They both froze, standing face to face for the first time in months. The tension between them was palpable, the air thick with unspoken words.

“River…” August began, her voice barely a whisper. It was clear she was just as shocked by the encounter.

River struggled to find her voice. “August, I—I didn’t know you were here.”

“Neither did I,” August replied, her eyes searching River’s face for any sign of the person she used to know.

They stood there in awkward silence, the weight of their history hanging heavily between them. There was so much to say, yet neither of them knew where to start. The pain of their separation, the guilt, the lingering attraction—it all churned just beneath the surface.

“I’m sorry,” River finally said, her voice thick with emotion. “For everything.”

August’s eyes softened, but she shook her head. “It’s not just you. We both made choices… and we both have to live with them.”

River nodded, swallowing hard. The urge to reach out, to touch her, was overwhelming, but she held back. This was not the time or place, and the wounds between them were still too raw.

“Maybe we should—” River started, but was cut off by the sudden appearance of a group of students filing out of the lecture hall. The moment was lost, and the noise and movement broke whatever fragile connection they had managed to establish.

“I have to go,” August said quickly, turning to leave before River could respond. She disappeared into the crowd, leaving River standing there, feeling more alone than ever.

---

Meanwhile, Lucy had taken a very different path. After graduation, she had thrown herself into the college party scene with reckless abandon. The excitement, the freedom, the endless opportunities to meet new people—it was all intoxicating. She had always been a free spirit, but now, without the constraints of high school, she embraced that side of herself fully.

Parties, late nights, and casual flings became the norm for Lucy. The stability and comfort she had found with August no longer seemed as appealing in the face of all the new experiences college had to offer. At first, she tried to maintain their relationship, but the distance, both physical and emotional, grew with each passing day.

It wasn’t long before Lucy met someone new—a girl who was just as wild and free-spirited as she was. Their connection was instant, and before long, Lucy found herself drawn away from August, more interested in the thrill of her new relationship than in the security of her old one.

The final straw came one evening when Lucy, after a particularly wild night out, realized that she no longer felt the same way about August. The affection was still there, but it was overshadowed by the excitement of her new life. It wasn’t fair to August, she knew that. And so, with a heavy heart, she called August, knowing that this conversation would hurt them both.

“August, we need to talk,” Lucy said, her voice subdued as they spoke over the phone.

August’s heart sank at Lucy’s tone. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t think we can keep doing this,” Lucy said, her words coming out in a rush. “This long-distance thing… it’s not working. And… I met someone.”

The silence on the other end of the line was deafening. August felt as if the ground had been pulled out from under her. She had sensed the distance growing between them, but she had hoped they could work through it. Now, the reality hit her with brutal clarity.

“Someone else?” August echoed, her voice breaking.

Lucy hated herself for doing this, for hurting August, but she knew it was the right thing to do. “I’m sorry, August. I didn’t mean for it to happen, but it did. And I can’t pretend that things are the same between us anymore.”

August’s hand tightened around her phone, her mind racing. Part of her wanted to scream, to demand answers, but another part of her felt a strange sense of relief. The tension, the uncertainty, had been building for weeks, and now it was finally breaking.

“I guess… I guess this is it, then,” August said, her voice hollow.

“Yeah,” Lucy replied softly, guilt washing over her. “I’m so sorry, August. You deserve better than this.”

August swallowed hard, trying to keep her emotions in check. “I just… I hope you find what you’re looking for, Lucy.”

“Thank you,” Lucy said, her voice thick with emotion. “I really do care about you, August. I always will.”

With that, the call ended, and August was left alone, staring at her phone in disbelief. The relationship she had tried so hard to salvage was over, and she felt a strange mix of sadness and liberation.

She wasn’t sure what the future held, but one thing was clear—everything was changing, and she would have to find a way to navigate this new reality, whatever it might bring.