𝟏𝟐. || 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫.

Don't forget to comment💬❤

✧ Raj Malhotra’s POV ✧

As we stepped out of the office, I felt a sense of calm wash over me. The workday had been intense, with meetings, projects, and Lavanya unexpected attention lingering in my mind. Now, walking beside her, the tension seemed to fade away as we strolled down the quiet footpath.

The evening air was cool, and the streets were bathed in the soft golden glow of the setting sun. Lavanya, as always, was lost in her thoughts, her hand lightly brushing against mine as we walked. I could tell something was weighing on her mind, even before she asked her question.

“Raj, can I ask you something?” she said softly, her voice almost hesitant, as if she wasn’t sure how I’d respond.

I turned to her with a gentle smile, wanting to ease whatever unease she was feeling. “Of course, love. You don’t need permission—just ask away.”

She hesitated for a moment, her gaze dropping to the ground. “You never talked much about your parents. Where are they? What do they do?”

Her words hit me like a punch to the gut. I froze, my mind immediately flashing back to the night I lost them—the screams, the blood, the helplessness. It wasn’t a memory I liked to revisit, and certainly not something I wanted Lavanya to see reflected in my eyes.

She must have sensed my discomfort because her eyes softened with immediate concern. Her empathy was so raw and genuine that it made my chest tighten. “I’m so sorry, Raj,” she whispered, her voice laced with regret for even bringing it up.

I forced a smile, trying to bury the pain deep within me where it belonged. “It’s alright. Let’s just enjoy our time together,” I said, hoping she would let it go.

Lavanya seemed to pick up on the change in tone, her lips curving into a small, comforting smile. “How about we get some dumplings?” she offered, her tone brightening in an attempt to lift the mood.

I laughed at how quickly she could shift the conversation to something light, her endless love for food always surprising me. “But baby, it’s not quite dinner time yet,” I teased, hoping to keep the moment playful.

Her pout could have melted steel. “But it’s just a snack!” she whined, her voice carrying that irresistible charm that always worked on me.

I laughed again, unable to resist her. “Alright, let’s go then,” I agreed, feeling lighter already as I watched her eyes light up in excitement.

We found a cozy little food stall nearby, and soon enough, Lavanya was in her element—chattering away while eagerly trying everything on the menu. I watched her in awe, her joy contagious. She was so full of life, every bite she took accompanied by some story or random thought she felt the need to share. I wasn’t even listening to half of what she was saying—I was just mesmerized by her.