Homecoming

Klaus stood amidst the dense trees in Portland, the afternoon light filtering through the canopy above. Juliet was beside him, her keen eyes scanning the forest for any sign of movement. Klaus's phone buzzed in his pocket, interrupting their search. He glanced at the screen—Stefan. With a resigned sigh, he answered the call.

"Portland is fantastic," Klaus said, a hint of sarcasm in his voice as he eyed Juliet, who smiled faintly. "Once you get over all the whiny music and healthy-looking people, it is literally a breeding ground for werewolves."

Stefan's voice came through the line, calm but urgent. "Your father is dead."

Klaus's eyes narrowed, and he exchanged a tense look with Juliet. Elijah had warned them that Stefan and his friends were scheming, but this? Klaus's grip on the phone tightened.

"What did you say to me?" Klaus demanded, his voice low and dangerous.

Stefan paused before correcting himself. "Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father and not dead. Mikael. Daggered. What do you want me to do with the body?"

Klaus's expression darkened, his mind racing. "Well, first I want you to explain to me exactly what happened."

One hour earlier, at the Salvatore Boarding House:

Stefan was pacing the room, Elena and Damon watching him closely.

"Alright, let's say that Mikael followed Elena in here," Stefan began, setting the scene. "He tried to grab her, so he could use her as bait."

Elena raised an eyebrow. "And you what? Vervained him?"

Damon snorted. "No, we vervained him! This guy is an Original. We had to make it realistic."

Stefan nodded reluctantly. "Okay, fine. We vervained him, and in the process discovered that he had a dagger."

Elena glanced at Stefan, putting the pieces together. "Which he planned to use on Rebekah, but instead..."

Stefan finished her thought. "We drove it through his heart."

Elena frowned, her skepticism showing. "And what happens when he asks to see Mikael's body?"

Damon shrugged, ever the pragmatist. "Good point! You, my brother, have been compelled to do whatever Klaus says. So, the idea is to lure him back here and kill him...last thing we need is you getting tripped up and tongue-tied."

Stefan threw up his hands. "Well, don't look at me. I'm just in charge of getting him back here."

Elena's voice was cautious. "Klaus is smart. If we tell him that Mikael is dead, he'll want proof."

A voice from the doorway broke the tension. "Then I shall be dead."

Mikael stepped into the room; his presence instantly commanding. Elena tensed.

"What if he wants to see you in person?" Elena asked, trying to cover her unease.

Mikael's expression was cold, determined. "Well, that means our plan is working. Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You lure him here, and I will kill him."

Stefan's doubt was palpable. "With what? Those daggers won't work on him."

Mikael's lips curled into a knowing smirk. "Well, I'm in possession of a stake fashioned from the wood of the ancient white oak tree. The one that left these ashes when it burned."

Stefan's eyes narrowed. "Where is it?"

Mikael, now dipping a dagger into the white oak ashes, responded with confidence. "Not here. The knowing of its location is my insurance policy."