Chapter 11

During lunchbreak one day, Touma was sitting with Hanna in the Student Council room as they were friends with the president: Noah Minazawa. Hanna could tell that something was bothering him and was determined to find out what.

"Touma, what's going on with you?" Hanna asked

"I don't know what you mean." Touma said

"Dude, stop playing coy, I know something is on your mind. I'm your stepsister, you can tell me anything." Hanna said

"Okay. Lately, I've noticed that I am starting to see Rin as more than a friend. I'm starting to see her as a girl. I burn up when I'm around her, and I am always sneaking glances at her during class. Just sitting next to her, makes me feel like my heart is gonna explode. I don't know what this is." Touma said

"It sounds like you like her, you absolute idiot!" Hanna bellowed

Touma could not fathom the fact that he liked Rin. It was weird for him to consider the chances that he liked her. Now that he thought about it, it made total sense. He was able to smile naturally and break away from his popular image when he was around her. The way he made her laugh in ways that nobody else could, only solidified Hanna's theory. Meanwhile, in the classroom, Rin was talking to Kazuma and Shouma, and the same thing seemed to be going down.

"I'm not sure what to do. He makes me laugh in ways that nobody else can, and I'm able to be myself around him. Touma is the reason I broke out of my loner shell. To be honest, I never would have met you guys if it wasn't for him." Rin said 

"Well, if you like him, you should probably confess." Kazuma said

"No. No way!" Rin bellowed

"If you don't tell him how you feel, your feelings will just inflate like a balloon. Eventually, that balloon will burst." Shouma said

"Dude, what the hell are you talking about?" Kazuma asked

Shouma chuckled and continued, "Think about it, Rin. If you don't express your feelings, they'll just keep building up inside you, like a pressure cooker. Eventually, that pressure will become too much, and you'll explode, spilling your emotions all over the place. Trust me, it's better to just confess and get it over with."

Rin shook her head, her ponytail swaying with the motion. "I don't know, guys. I'm not good at this sort of thing. What if he doesn't feel the same way?"

Kazuma placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Then at least you'll know where you stand. But what if he does feel the same way? Wouldn't that be amazing?"

Rin's cheeks flushed at the thought, and she looked away, trying to composed herself. Meanwhile, in the Student Council room, Hanna was giving Touma a similar pep talk.

"Dude, you need to confess to Rin. It's obvious you have feelings for her. And who knows, maybe she feels the same way," Hanna said, a sly grin spreading across her face.

Touma's eyes widened in alarm. "What if she doesn't feel the same way? What if she thinks I'm just being weird?"

Hanna rolled her eyes. "Rin's not like that, Touma. She's a sweet girl, and she deserves to know how you feel. Besides, what's the worst that could happen?"

Touma hesitated, weighing his options. He thought back to all the times Rin had made him laugh, all the times she'd listened to him when no one else would. He thought about the way his heart skipped a beat whenever she was near. Touma did not know what to do and Rin felt like Touma was not gonna like her back. This was a real mess, and it just goes to show what can happen when you are not open about your feelings.

After school, Hanna, Shouma and Kazuma as well as Touma's childhood girl-friend Izuku, could sense the tension between Touma and Rin. The two of them did not speak to each other the entire time they walked home, and Rin just watched as Touma and Hanna went inside their house. She continued walking home but completely fell apart because of her anxiety.