Chapter 28

As Alex finished administering the medicine and prepared to leave, he leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on Aiden's forehead. The touch was tender, but the gesture carried a noticeable flirtatious undertone.

Aiden blushed deeply at the unexpected display of affection. His cheeks reddened as he looked up at Alex, momentarily caught off guard by the intimate gesture.

"Just a little extra care," Alex said with a smirk, his eyes twinkling mischievously. "You take care now, alright? Get well soon."

Drake, who had been watching from a distance, clenched his fists in frustration. Seeing Alex's affectionate kiss only added to his irritation. He stepped forward, his voice laced with a cold edge. "Alex, you've done enough. If you're finished here, I'd appreciate it if you'd leave."

Alex raised an eyebrow, a playful smile lingering on his lips as he looked at Drake. "Of course, Drake. Just trying to do my job and maybe brighten Aiden's day a bit."

He turned back to Aiden, giving him one last flirtatious smile before leaving the room. Aiden, still blushing, looked at Drake with a mix of confusion and embarrassment.

Drake, now alone with Aiden, sat down beside him and spoke in a softer tone, his frustration giving way to concern. "You alright? Do you need anything else?"

Aiden nodded, still feeling the warmth of Alex's kiss on his forehead. "I'm fine, Drake. Thanks for being here."

Drake gave him a reassuring smile, his earlier irritation melting away as he focused on taking care of Aiden.

'Actually, Drake, you didn't tell me that Aiden is in this state on the first day, I was so worried why my best friend didn't show up for a few days', Alex said in a teasing tone.

Drake's expression darkened slightly at Alex's teasing tone, but he quickly masked his irritation with a controlled, cool demeanor.

"Alex," Drake said, his voice even but carrying an undercurrent of frustration, "I was dealing with a lot, and I didn't think it was necessary to update you on every detail."

Alex smirked, unfazed by Drake's tone. "Oh, I understand. But you know how it is—friends worry about friends. I just didn't know why Aiden was missing in action."

Drake's gaze hardened slightly. "Well, now you know. I appreciate your concern, but let's keep things professional."

Alex's smile remained, though his eyes twinkled with mischief. "Understood, Drake. I'm just glad Aiden's getting better. I'll leave you two to it."

As Alex exited the room, Drake turned his attention back to Aiden, who had been quietly observing the exchange.

"Is there anything you need, Aiden?" Drake asked softly, trying to focus on making Aiden comfortable despite the earlier tension.

"No, Drake." Aiden quietly replied.

As Drake turned to leave, Aiden reached out and gently pulled him back, pressing a soft kiss to his lips. The kiss was brief but filled with unspoken gratitude and affection.

Drake's eyes widened in surprise, and for a moment, he was caught off guard. But as he processed the gesture, a genuine smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. He cupped Aiden's cheek tenderly and responded with a gentle kiss of his own.

"Get some rest," Drake murmured against Aiden's lips before stepping back. "I'll be here."With that, he left the room, his heart a little lighter despite the challenges ahead.

Drake paused as he reached the door, sensing Aiden's unease. He turned back, his gaze softening as he studied Aiden's expression."What's on your mind?" Drake asked, his voice calm yet filled with concern.

Aiden hesitated for a moment, biting his lip as if debating whether to share his thoughts. "I...I just don't want to be a burden, Drake," he finally admitted, his voice barely above a whisper. "I'm worried that I'm slowing you down, especially with all this going on."

Drake's expression softened further, and he walked back to Aiden's side, kneeling beside the bed. "You're not a burden," he said firmly, his tone leaving no room for doubt. "You're the most important person to me, Aiden. Nothing else matters as much as making sure you're okay."

Aiden looked up at Drake, his eyes reflecting a mix of relief and lingering worry. "But what if...what if I get worse?"

Drake gently took Aiden's hand in his, squeezing it reassuringly. "Then we'll deal with it together, just like we always do. You don't have to face anything alone."

Aiden nodded, feeling a bit more at ease but still unable to shake the weight of his thoughts entirely. Drake leaned in, brushing a soft kiss against Aiden's forehead. "Rest now," he urged. "I'll take care of everything."

Aiden watched as Drake finally left the room, feeling a strange mix of comfort and uncertainty.Aiden crept out of his room, careful to avoid making any noise that might alert anyone to his movements. The hallway was dimly lit, the morning sun just beginning to filter through the curtains. He made his way to a small device hidden in his pocket—a camera feed he had secretly set up in Drake's bedroom.

Checking the feed, Aiden held his breath as the image loaded on the small screen. He saw Drake lying in bed, seemingly asleep. Aiden exhaled softly, relieved that his little plan was working so far. He knew Drake was a light sleeper, so he had to be extra cautious.

Satisfied that Drake was still asleep, Aiden turned off the feed and pocketed the device. He tiptoed down the hallway, his mind racing with whatever task he had in mind, hoping to get it done without Drake noticing his absence.

As he reached the front door, he paused for a moment, glancing back toward Drake's room. He hesitated, feeling a pang of guilt for sneaking around like this, but he pushed it aside and quietly opened the door, slipping out into the late morning light.

Aiden moved swiftly through the mansion within an hour, his steps light and purposeful. He had just returned from one of the gang members' rooms, ensuring he went unnoticed during his brief absence. The corridors were still quiet, with most of the gang members either asleep or busy with their own routines.

Reaching his room, Aiden carefully unjammed the security cameras he had tampered with before leaving. He knew Drake would eventually notice any anomalies in the security system, so he made sure everything was back to normal, just as it had been before his secret excursion.

Once he was satisfied that nothing seemed out of place, Aiden slipped back into bed, pulling the covers over himself. He let out a quiet sigh, feeling a mix of relief and nervousness. His heart raced as he wondered if his actions had gone undetected. The mansion was once again silent, and Aiden lay still, hoping Drake would remain unaware of his secret movements.

Aiden walked through the mansion, his expression calm despite the unsettling news. As he stepped outside, he found Drake standing near the garden, lost in thought. The early morning light cast long shadows across the ground, and the air was thick with tension.

When Aiden approached Drake, he quietly asked, "Did you hear about Alex?" His tone was neutral, almost indifferent, as if the news hadn't really affected him.

Aiden replied, "Yeah." Drake explained, 'His parents and the polices think it was a suicide". Aiden simply replied, "Oh."

Drake studied Aiden's reaction, searching for any hint of emotion, but Aiden remained composed, merely nodding at the information. The silence between them was thick with unspoken words, and Drake's eyes narrowed slightly, as if trying to gauge what was going through Aiden's mind.

"That's all you have to say?" Drake asked, his voice carrying a hint of curiosity.

Aiden simply shrugged, his gaze steady. "What else is there to say? It's not like we were that close." He paused for a moment before adding, "Besides, if the police think it's suicide, there's nothing more to discuss."

Drake's expression darkened, sensing there was more to Aiden's nonchalance than he was letting on, but he chose not to push further. Instead, he just nodded and looked away, lost in his own thoughts.

Drake studied Aiden's reaction, searching for any hint of emotion, but Aiden remained composed, merely nodding at the information. The silence between them was thick with unspoken words, and Drake's eyes narrowed slightly, as if trying to gauge what was going through Aiden's mind.

"That's all you have to say?" Drake asked, his voice carrying a hint of curiosity.

Aiden simply shrugged, his gaze steady. "What else is there to say? It's not like we were that close." He paused for a moment before adding, "Besides, if the police think it's suicide, there's nothing more to discuss."

Drake's expression darkened, sensing there was more to Aiden's nonchalance than he was letting on, but he chose not to push further. Instead, he just nodded and looked away, lost in his own thoughts.

"Drake. Can I go to the dark forest?" Aiden asked simply as if nothing had happened.

Drake's gaze sharpened at Aiden's request, his usual cold demeanor hiding the concern that flickered in his eyes. "Why do you want to go there?" he asked, his voice steady but laced with a hint of suspicion.Aiden hesitated, looking away briefly before meeting Drake's eyes. "I just... need some time alone. To think."

Drake studied him for a moment, his instincts telling him there was more to this than Aiden was revealing. "The dark forest isn't exactly a safe place, especially now," Drake replied, his tone firm. "But if you're set on going, I'm coming with you."

Aiden shook his head. "I need to do this alone, Drake."

Drake remained silent for a moment, considering Aiden's request. Finally, he sighed, his protective nature battling with his desire to trust Aiden's judgment. "Fine," he said, his voice softer now. "But take your phone and call me if anything happens. Don't stay out there too long."

Aiden nodded, grateful for the understanding. "I will. Thank you." With that, he turned and walked away, leaving Drake standing there, watching him go, a storm of emotions brewing beneath his calm exterior.

Aiden went to the Dark Forest and burned his hand gloves. This act reveals that Aiden was the one who killed Alex earlier that morning. Burning the gloves was his way of destroying evidence, ensuring no trace of his crime remained. The twist shows Aiden's darker side, contrasting with his usual demeanor, and adds complexity to his character.

After burning his gloves in the Dark Forest, Aiden turned to leave and noticed Alex's parents heading to the police station in a car. Fortunately, the fire had gone unnoticed, allowing Aiden to keep his involvement in Alex's death hidden.

Ryan, stepping out of the shadows with an air of casual authority, addressed Aiden with a knowing smirk. His black demon wings had disappeared as he landed smoothly on the ground. He wore a black suit that made him look just like a gang member, but the demonic aura around him betrayed his true nature.

"So, Aiden, one down," Ryan said, his voice carrying an undertone of approval. "Hope you had the presence of mind to record the murder? Mom and Dad usually keep these records. You know, their expectations are quite high."

There was a brief, calculating pause before Ryan continued with a hint of dark amusement, "You know, Aiden, Mom and Dad expected that you would finish off your boss too?" His words were laced with a blend of sarcasm and expectation, reflecting the family's relentless demands and the pressure on Aiden to meet their ruthless standards.

Ryan raised an eyebrow, his interest piqued as Aiden handed over the recording. His expression was a mix of curiosity and amusement. "Here's the recording," Aiden said, his tone a touch weary. "And I don't think I can murder my boss—"

Ryan's smirk widened, a cold glint in his eyes. "Really now? You've always been the one to defy expectations. But remember, our parents have their own ideas about what's necessary. They've never been ones to tolerate failure or hesitation."

Aiden's gaze hardened. "I'm not sure I'm up for that."

Ryan's tone grew more serious. "Well, you better figure it out. Our family's expectations are not to be taken lightly. But for now, focus on what's in front of you. The recording will suffice for today."

Ryan's words cut through the tension with a sharp edge. "He's special to you?" Ryan asked, his tone incredulous. "Isn't he one of the humans who burnt your family? My mother warned your mom, her sister, not to trust humans, but look where we are now."

Aiden's expression tightened, his feelings a mix of guilt and defiance. "What am I supposed to do? He's... different."

Ryan raised an eyebrow, skepticism etched on his face. "And I'm supposed to believe that? You're not only tangled in this mess with your boss, but now you want to bring me along as part of your act to join the mafia gang? Got it, bro?"

Aiden looked away, not meeting Ryan's gaze. The internal conflict was evident. He had indeed grown close to Drake, and it was more than just an act. But he couldn't bring himself to admit that, not even to his stepbrother.

Ryan continued, his voice cold. "I guess you couldn't bring yourself to murder your boss because he never really got close to you. You've been playing this part well, but now you're in too deep. Our family's expectations are high, and they don't care about your personal attachments."

Aiden remained silent, the weight of Ryan's words hanging heavily in the air. His feelings for Drake were conflicted, and he was now trapped between his family's demands and his own evolving emotions.

Aiden walked into the main hall of Drake's mansion with Ryan beside him, a strained smile on his face. Drake looked up from his desk, his gaze shifting from Aiden to the new arrival.

"Aiden," Drake greeted, his tone neutral but with a hint of curiosity. "And who might this be?"

"This is Ryan," Aiden said, his voice steady but tinged with apprehension. "He's a new member who wants to join the gang. Ryan, this is Drake, the boss."

Drake's eyes narrowed slightly as he studied Ryan. The black suit and the confident demeanor immediately marked Ryan as someone who could be a threat or an asset. "Welcome, Ryan," Drake said, his tone carefully measured. "What brings you to our organization?"

Ryan met Drake's gaze with a cool, calculating stare. "I'm here to join the gang and prove myself. Aiden and I go way back, so I trust his judgment. I hope to show you that I'm a valuable addition."

Drake's expression remained impassive, but his mind was already working through the implications. A new member, especially one introduced by Aiden, required careful evaluation.

"Well," Drake said, his voice smooth and authoritative, "let's see what you're made of. We'll put you through a few tests to ensure you're up to our standards. If you pass, you'll earn your place here."

Ryan nodded, his expression unreadable. "I'm ready."

As they moved forward with the introduction and initiation process, Drake's attention remained focused on Ryan, assessing every word and action. Aiden stood by, feeling the weight of the situation and the internal conflict between his loyalty to Drake and his obligations to his family.