Volume 1 2-Bandits.

Jukary, 17, 1471

Ah, another day I have to live. What a wonder life is. I wish I could stay in my bedroll a bit longer but she'll probably kick me if I don't wake up soon.

So I decide to open my eyes and finally sit up.

As soon as I sat up, my first view Divna sitting near the dying campfire. She was sharpening a knife with a whetstone.

"Hey, you're finally awake. Get on your feet. I want to be there as soon as possible."

She said before putting her whetstone on her pouch and sheathed her knife in the sheath on her belt.

"Come on."

Ugh, in a way I was hoping to wake up from a bad dream, but life can never go how we want, does it?

It was evening, long hours of riding, but we're finally in Anburg. Nothing much to see here, to be honest. It is a farming village that provides the city merchants with crops and supplies. Most of the houses here are made of wood and straw. And security isn't much here, they do have guards, but it goes without saying that they aren't as trained or geared well as city guards, obviously. Or that's how it was the last time I was here.

I look at the town and I see some burned buildings, ruined crops, and some villagers picking up the remains of their homes. Sad scene actually, but not my problem. Oh, wait. It might actually be my problem. Is this the reason she wanted to come here?

As I see the scene before me, I saw a group of people gathered in the center of the village.

"That looks interesting."

"You are right." She responded. "We should investigate what happened here."

We leave the horses hitched on a nearby fence before walking to the gathered group. Are they discussing something?

We walked closer and we were able to see two men in the middle of the group talking.

One of them was an old man with a bald head but a bushy beard on his face. He wore clothing of a farmer He was using a cane to support himself.

The other man of middle age, probably mid-forties. He had left-parted short blonde hair, blue eyes, and a beard over her face. He wore a brown brigandine under a black coat a pair of brown gloves that even covered his forearms. Each glove had a steel plate on top of the outer forearm. Black pants with steel knee caps and brown cuffed boots. He had a bastard sword in his right hand. Another sword strapped on his back, and a sword belt on his left hip.

I know this man. His name is Erik Kesler. I know him because he is the leader of the group I am in. Mercenaries, sometimes bandits. It's not a very big group, probably about a couple dozen. We take jobs people do not want to post on the guild. Sometimes we steal from others.

Yeah, I never claimed I was a saint. Though it's kind of obvious since I tried to steal the most valuable possession in Elsker.

Still, what is he doing here. It is a general rule for bandits that men are left behind. Which is why I'm not very surprised to see him calm after my capture.

Still, hopefully he can help me get out of this.

"Listen, me and my group are not a bunch of do gooders. You're gonna have to offer some sort of payment if you want us to that." Erik said as he sheathed the sword on his left hip.

"We understand. We'll give you what we want, but please get rid of those bandits." Said the old man.

Erik smirked before answering.