Chapter one

My breath was heavy. My chest tightens at every second I make my way up the stairs,my heart beats rapidly against my ribcage. I hope and pray silently in my head that it wasn't true, what I heard wasn't real and that my parents are just trying to play a prank on me. But since when have they become a prankster?. I could feel my heart sinking while I grabbed the handle of the door and opened it.

I raised my eyes to meet with that of my father. Dante Hernandez.

"Dad," I let out.

"Amelie" Dante said calmly but there was nothing calm about what I had just heard. I moved closer to him, he was sitting on his chair across his study room.

"What happened?" I asked my dad who looked exhausted. I could tell there was a lot he had to say but he just couldn't bring himself to say it.

"Dad..." I called out again this time in desperation.

"You are getting married" he finally said while getting up from his chair and turning his face away from me. Why? Maybe because he can say everything he wants to without staring at my face right now.

"I don't think I understand you dad. Timothy and I haven't discussed anything about a marriage yet we had both agreed I finish my studies first" I rushed out hoping that was the case. Praying.

"This has nothing to do with Timothy," Dante forced out. I blinked, twice.

"What are you talking about? We are engaged, remember?" I almost screamed but bit my tongue down drawing blood in the process, I winced.

"Not anymore. You are getting married" dad said more calmly now, I moved closer to him.

"You're joking right? This is some sort of joke?"

"Am afraid not Amelie, you are not a child anymore and have to bear your responsibility as a member of the Hernandez family" he said. I was too stunned to speak. Responsibility?

"I have! I am still a college student dad but I have brought more in more deals to the company than anyone. Stepped on toes and created enemies for this family! Heck I even agreed to get married to Timothy because you ask dad, you said to strengthen our ground. I have done my best!" I cried out

"Well seems your best wasn't enough, the company is going under, we have debts , huge debts that could kill us all..." dad paused for a moment. "....your sister was supposed to be the one but we can't find her. Afraid she had run off. This is the only way to help this family, trust me if there was another way, I wouldn't think twice before doing it"

"Well look for her! Search for larina! Why do I have to do everything? Why am I forced against my wish dad?"

"Because we are family and family look out for each other" I snorted. My eyes are getting teary, blurring my vision.

"Or maybe because I am not your child!" I spat out angrily.

"Amelie!" Dad yells angrily, he has always hated it when I remind him that I am not his child. But that's the truth. His daughter ran off while being used for deals and amends, now am about to be used to pay debts. His anger fades when he turns and sees the tears rolling down my face.

"Amelie..." he calls more softly.

"Larina isn't here because you don't want her here. Every single time you turn me into your pawn, your way out, larina hasn't ever been in the picture, it has always been me, me, and me! Now what should I say to Timothy? And his family?" I cried out bitterly.

"Your mother is already talking it out with them" dad says " look Amelie, help your father just this once, please my child " he pleads. I stared at him with hot tears rolling down my check, I couldn't speak any other words. No, there was nothing left for me to say, what can I say? I am getting married, No, getting sold off for my father, for my family. I slowly turned around , my heart heavy and broken. I walked out of his study down to the stairs and out of the house. I got inside my car and dragged the seat belt across my chest but somehow it got stuck. I dragged and pulled but it won't bulge, my emotions flying all over the place I let go of it and screamed. Hitting my hand on the steering wheel repeatedly. My heart was broken and my life falling apart and there is nothing I can do about it. Nothing.

I rode off to school but my mind was elsewhere, while still inside the car and at the school parking lot, I decided to go look for Timothy. I had dialled his number a couple of times but he wasn't picking up. I started the car and rode off to our normal hanging spot hoping to find him there. The drive from the school to the Rave was a quick one.

I got to the entrance and said a few words with the bulky men at the entrance . We were regular here. They allowed me in while I ignored the low groaning of the others behind me. Entering inside, I was welcomed with loud music. I made my way through the swearing drunk dancing crowd.

My eyes caught a dark haired guy sitting by the bar and I smiled faintly while I made my way toward him.

"Hey Alex"I called as he whips around and smiles at me.

"Amelie.. we heard...."

"I'm fine" I lied through my teeth. His eyes held mine for a second before gulping down his drink.

"Have you seen Tim?" I asked, looking around the crowd.

"Ummmm.... Yeah. Him and Kim were just here . How about you check the rooms huh?" He said softly.

"Kim?" I asked unsure. Kim is my best friend and she was the first I told about what happened. Alex nods. I smiled at him before walking off.

I made my way upstairs. Rave is one of the biggest clubs around. I walked to the VIP rooms area and opened the first door to my right. It's our normal room for hanging out whenever we come to Rave. But nothing could have ever prepared me from what I saw. I cover my mouth with trembling hands, a little gasp escaping from my lips making Kim and Timothy turn toward me.

Kim's face was pale white as she hurriedly gets up from Timothy's laps.

"Amelie.... It's... why are you here?" Timothy asked, feeling annoyed. Is he kidding me right now? Kim made an attempt to move closer to me but I stopped her.

"Amelie is not what you think seriously" Kim said desperately.

"You are my best friend" was all I could say before dashing out of the room. I can hear Timothy's voice calling me but I don't stop. I couldn't. . My legs kept moving, my vision closed with tears. I couldn't breathe. I reached for the next door knob and opened it, stepping inside I closed the door behind me and slipped to the ground slowly, my back gliding against the door. And my eye closed and hurt. I let out a cry . A cry of betrayal, regret , hurt, pain. I screamed.