Chapter Seventeen

AMELIE

I woke up to an empty room. Alessandro's side of the bed was cold, untouched. I sat up, rubbing my eyes, trying to shake off the haze of sleep.

As I looked around, I took in the unfamiliar surroundings. Alessandro's room was a reflection of his personality - dark, sleek, and masculine. The walls were painted a deep charcoal grey, the furniture black and minimalist. The only splash of colour came from the vibrant artwork on the walls, abstract pieces that seemed to pulse with energy.

I threw off the covers and swung my legs over the side of the bed, my feet dangling in the air. The floor was cold, polished marble that seemed to stretch on forever.

I stood up, stretching my arms over my head, trying to shake off the lingering fogginess. Where was Alessandro? I wondered.

I padded across the room, my bare feet making barely a sound on the marble floor. I reached the door and turned the handle, pushing it open to reveal a long, dark corridor.

I stepped out into the hallway, looking around for any sign of life. But the house was quiet, still.

I made my way back to my own room, my feet carrying me on autopilot. As I entered, I was greeted by the familiar sight of my own bed, my own furniture.

I went straight to the bathroom, flipping on the light switch to illuminate the sleek, modern space. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror - tangled hair, sleepy eyes.

I turned on the shower, letting the warm water wash away the remnants of sleep. As I stood under the spray, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease. Where was Alessandro? And why had he left me alone in his bed? Not that I care, Memories from last night came flooding through my head and I felt hot even though the cold water was running through my body.

I got dressed in a casual outfit, not bothering to fuss over my appearance. I slipped on a pair of distressed denim jeans, a comfortable white tank top, and a cosy oversized cardigan. My hair was still damp from the shower, so I pulled it back into a messy bun, securing it with a few loose strands framing my face.

I headed downstairs, my feet padding softly on the stairs. As I entered the kitchen, I was greeted by the warm smile of Maria.

"Good morning, Amelie!" she said, her eyes twinkling. "I've already prepared breakfast for you. Coffee, toast, and some fresh fruit."

I smiled, feeling a sense of gratitude towards Maria. She always knew how to make me feel at ease.

The kitchen was filled with the delicious aroma of freshly brewed coffee and toasted bread. I took a seat at the table, and Maria set a steaming cup of coffee in front of me.

"Thank you, Maria," I said, taking a sip of the rich, bold coffee.

Maria bustled around the kitchen, her movements efficient and practised. She set a plate of toast and fruit in front of me, and I dug in, savouring the crunchy bread and sweet fruit.

As I ate, I couldn't help but wonder where Alessandro Had gone out for the day?
But I pushed the thoughts aside, focusing on the warm, comforting atmosphere of the kitchen. Maria chatted with me, asking about my plans for the day, and I found myself feeling more at ease with each passing minute. As I finished my breakfast, I finally asked Maria, "Where is everyone? The house feels so quiet today."

Maria wiped her hands on her apron, her expression neutral. "Mr. Cody and his wife left early this morning for another trip. They'll be back soon."

I nodded, not surprised. Alessandro's father and his mom were always travelling, attending to their business interests.