Chapter 12: the continuation of the date

If you wish to support me, I have Twitter! It is @Little_Lamb31532, it is a place where I will post updates and stuff! It also has a link to how to support me... well it kinda does, I do art commissions as a side job, if you're looking to donate to an unpaid author and underpaid uni student, it would be appreciated.

Now, onto the fic!

~~~

"N-NO! None of them are my dad, they are just my masters at the dojo!" he spoke quickly, his face bright red.

He did a double take to the TV for a moment, before finally pushing it from his mind. But as he looked over at Mina, her sparkling golden eyes were boring holes into him. "I swear none of them are my dad, if they were I'd be like... way taller!" he mumbled the last part into his drink.

Mina leaned back into her booth, still staring at him with those beautiful golden eyes. The cozy hum of the café buzzed in the background, and the faint scent of coffee mingled with Izuku's minty drink. He tried to focus on the warmth of his cup instead of Mina's piercing gaze.

Izuku must have timed out for a moment, stuck nervously sipping on his drink as she brought a hand to her chin and rubbed it for a moment. "So.. is one going to become your step dad?" her eyebrows were knit together in a deep contemplative expression, and before he could object to the question, she continued, "Or.. All three?"

Izuku sat down his drink, his face burned as he tried to find the right words, his fingers twitching nervously as he sat up in the booth, "No!" he sputtered out, his face continued to flush a deeper red, and he felt like his brain was overheating. Waving his hands frantically, almost knocking over his drink as his thoughts tumbled over each other in a panicked mess. "Listen! They. are. All. Friends." he stammered out, her teasing question left Izuku flustered and without a comeback, he reached back to grab his phone and scrolled to nearly the bottom of his phone's pictures. He pulled up the only recent picture of his family together and he faced his phone towards the pink girl. "My Dad might not live in Japan right now, but that doesn't mean my moms looking for a boyfriend!"

Mina let out a quick giggle and grabbed the phone from his hand, "Ooh let me get a closer look greeny." She took a few moments to look over the picture, nodding her head slowly. Mina zoomed in, her eyes flicking from Izuku's younger self to the adults around him. "Aww, look at those chubby cheeks! And that shy little smile- adorable~. I bet you were like, a total mama's boy, huh?" She chuckled out with a Cheshire smile as she zoomed in on ten year old Izuku's far more round face. "So~ you're a late bloomer? Or were the changes slowly coming in? I haven't met anyone who went past five with their quirk still inactive." Her face was alight with curiosity and a more soft something entered her eyes as she handed the phone back.

Izuku pocketed his phone quickly, the heat on his face more apparent, but not from normal embarrassment. He looked up at Mina, whose whole body was seeming to shake with excitement. The café's cozy hum seemed to fade, replaced by the pounding of Izuku's heart in his ears. The sweet scent of coffee felt suddenly cloying, and the warmth that had been comforting moments ago now felt suffocating. He struggled to find his voice under Mina's unrelenting gaze. "I.. I was a late bloomer-" he began.

"That's crazy!" Mina interrupted him with a small outburst, which made him sink into his seat a bit, and sent the cat in his lap to jump and scamper away. Mina's mind raced as she put the pieces together. A late-blooming quirk was almost unheard of, especially at Izuku's age in the picture. Most kids had their quirks by four or five—six at the latest. But Izuku? He'd been almost a teenager. "I've read about dormant quirks before, but this... it's different. What triggered it? A shock? A training accident? Or something else?"

Mina's eyes sparkled as she leaned in closer, her fingers tapping rhythmically on the table in a show of impatience. "So, you were just this adorable green puffball waiting for something to happen, huh? But this picture... five years ago? That's pretty late for a quirk to show up." Her voice softened as she studied his expression, her playful tone edged with genuine curiosity. She took a sip from her drink, her eyes peering at Izuku over the cup, her eyebrows closed together a bit after a moment as she sat the drink down.