off with her hea-

Red decided to head home before her mother woke up, while Chloe found herself back in the forest, standing beside the tree where her day had started.

The tree's voice carried a hint of surprise as it spoke, "You're still here?" His trunk opened up, creating a space large enough for Chloe to crawl into.

"Yeah, I have a feeling that something big is about to happen," Chloe settled onto the ground within the embrace of the ancient tree, one hand pressed against her lips as she pondered the mystery that held her captive.

As her gaze roamed the dense foliage of the forest, she gradually became aware of an eerie stillness surrounding her. Typically, there would be signs of life and movement even in the most ordinary of forests. Yet, as she turned her head to survey her surroundings, it felt as though she was the sole entity in motion amidst an otherwise motionless world.

"It's quiet," Chloe mentioned as she leaned on the back of the tree, opening now entirely inside the tree covered in dark shadow.

As Chloe's words faded, the air stirred with anticipation, and then a tiny flower eagerly called out, "The queen is coming!"

Chloe felt her breath catch in her throat as the opening in the tree shrank back to a small gap, like a peephole, big enough for her to look through.

The flower was right. As Chloe looked through the small hole, the queen and a jack card guard conversed through the forest.

"Your Highness," the blonde man said as he carefully stepped over a delicate flower, ensuring not to crush it under his boots, "She will ascend to the throne as queen one day.

"No, she won't. I'll reigh until Wonderland meets its end. I'll make sure she never has the opportunity to be queen, even if I have to kill her myself. I'd much rather her lose her mind. I could banish her away to the far end of wonderland. My daughter is not going to rule." The regal queen's voice echoed through the forest as she came to a halt in front of the ancient, towering tree that concealed Chloe within its gnarled embrace.

"And how do you suppose you make her lose her mind?" The Jack inquired, his fingers curling tightly around the hilt of his trusty sword, which was securely nestled in its sheath at his waist.

"Well, I'll get her to kill someone, obviously. She will never be able to take the life of a criminal. I've tried before. And when she fails, I will sentence her to...a new punishment." Chloe could hear the queen's voice's smugness, filling her with disgust. It was horrifying to witness how a person could inflict such cruelty on a child, especially her own daughter.

Chloe's heart raced as she realised she had to reach Red by morning and somehow halt the impending punishment. As the queen and guard departed, a wave of relief washed over her, only to be replaced by a resurgence of anxiety when she recalled the alarming conversation she had overheard.

A voice outside the tree exclaimed, "Well, this isn't good now, is it?" The opening expanded, allowing Chloe to crawl out.

The tree solemnly remarked, "This is no time for humour," as the cat purred upon noticing Chloe's presence.

Chloe was torn, wanting to snap back at the cat and tell it to be quiet. However, she could only ponder whether this was genuinely happening because of something she did. Was this future something she could have prevented, or was it destined to occur no matter what she did? Not being able to find out made her feel even more burdened by guilt.

The cat leapt up onto the lowest branch of the tree and asked, "You're going to help her, right?"

With a determined look, the teen snapped back, "Of course, I'm going to help her!" and kicked the ground in frustration.