Chapter I - The First Encounter

The music was soft, just a low hum in the background of the bustling room. I leaned against the kitchen counter, sipping on my drink, and scanned the room. It was the usual crowd—friends from college, coworkers, a few new faces I didn't recognize. Just another Saturday night gathering at Hyun Ju's place.

"Hey, Ji-ji!" Hyun Ju's voice broke through my thoughts as she appeared at my side. "Jiwon listen, I want you to meet someone.." A wide grin on her face. She was always trying to play matchmaker.

"Ugh, who is it this time?" I sighed, expecting her to drag over one of her cousin's friends or some coworker she swore I'd hit it off with.

"Siyeon, this is my friend," Hyun Ju said, nudging someone forward. "Jiwon, this is Lee Siyeon."

I looked up, and for a moment, I forgot how to speak. Standing in front of me was a woman with soft, dark hair that framed her face perfectly. She was wearing a simple outfit—but there was something about her, something I couldn't quite place.

"Hey," she said, her voice gentle as she offered me a small smile.

"Hi," I echoed, trying to gather my thoughts. "Nice to meet you, Siyeon."

"You too," she replied, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. She seemed a little shy, almost reserved, which I found endearing.

Hyun Ju didn't waste any time, quickly launching into introductions. "Siyeon and I go way back! We met through some mutual friends a few years ago. She's great, you'll love her."

I nodded, still trying to get past the fact that someone as beautiful as her was standing right in front of me. "So, how do you know Hyun-nie?"

"Oh, we've been friends for a while," Siyeon said, glancing over at Hyun Ju with a fond smile. "She's always trying to set me up with people, though.."

"Is that what she's doing now?" I joked, feeling a little more comfortable. "Well, should I be worried?" I teased.

Siyeon laughed, a light, melodic sound that made me want to keep hearing it. "Maybe just a little," she teased back.

The conversation flowed easily after that. We talked about the usual things—how we both knew Hyun Ju, hobbies and work, even though she was quite reserved about it. 

Siyeon was easy to talk to, with a calm, soothing presence that made the crowded room feel like it was just the two of us.

As the night went on, I found myself more and more drawn to her. There was something almost familiar about her, like I'd met her before, but I couldn't place where. And the more we talked, the more I wanted to know about her. She seemed interested in what I had to say, too, asking questions and laughing at my terrible jokes.

At one point, Hyun Ju came over, interrupting our conversation with a playful grin. "You two getting along, hm?"

"Definitely," I said, glancing at Siyeon, who smiled back at me.

"Good," Hyun Ju said, satisfied. "I knew you'd hit it off~"

As the night started winding down, Siyeon and I found ourselves standing by the balcony, looking out at the city lights, and smoking a couple cigarettes. The cool breeze was a nice contrast to the warmth inside.

"Thanks for keeping me company tonight," Siyeon said softly, her eyes catching the light from the street lamps below. "I'm usually pretty quiet at these things." She looked down at her feet.

"Are you kidding? I should be thanking you," I replied, leaning on the railing. "I had a great time talking with you, Siyeon.."

She looked at me, then really looked at me, and for a moment, it felt like time slowed down. There was a connection between us, something unspoken but undeniable.

"Um... I'd... like to see you again, Siyeon.." I said, the words slipping out before I could second-guess myself. 

Siyeon's smile widened, and she nodded. "I'd like that too, Jiwon-unnie."

We exchanged numbers, and as I watched her walk away to say goodbye to Hyun Ju, I couldn't help but feel like I'd just met someone special. Little did I know, I'd just taken the first step into a world that was about to get a whole lot more complicated.