GOING HER HOME

Anirudh walked into the room, his mind weighed down by guilt for the way he had behaved with Bondita.

As he entered, his eyes fell on her-sitting on the edge of the bed, her face tilted down, her eyes closed, as if she was trying to escape the emotions that were overwhelming her.

He stood there for a moment, unsure of how to approach her. Finally, with a deep breath, he slowly moved closer and gently placed his hand on her shoulder.

The moment his touch made contact, Bondita flinched, her body jerking slightly as she sat up straight. Her head lifted, and their eyes met.

Anirudh's heart sank as he saw the tears staining her cheeks, the red puffiness around her eyes betraying just how much she had cried.

Seeing her like that, the weight of his guilt doubled. He didn't mean to hurt her, yet here she was, breaking down because of him.

Before he could say anything, Bondita hastily wiped away her tears, avoiding his gaze as she muttered, " Kopal, humein ab chalna chahiye... Maa aur Baba humara intezaar kar rahe honge. "

Her voice was flat, devoid of any warmth, and before Anirudh could even open his mouth to respond, she moved past him, brushing him aside, and left the room.

He stood there, frozen, watching her retreating figure. He cursed himself silently. Why did I have to let my anger out on her? His frustration was never meant for her-it was for the societal expectations, the suffocating norms that saw a wife as a servant to her husband.

He never wanted that for Bondita, and yet, his words had only hurt her, making her feel exactly like that. Letting out a sigh, Anirudh reluctantly followed her downstairs.

At the threshold, the family had gathered to see them off. Trilochan stood with his usual authoritative posture, but his words carried affection as he said, " Bahu, apna dhyaan rakhna. Jaldi wapas aana. "

Bondita offered a small, forced smile, one that didn't reach her eyes, and nodded. Anirudh's gaze never left her, his eyes pleading for a moment of connection.

A sign that she wasn't entirely shut off from him. But she refused to look his way, her indifference now a wall between them.

They walked toward the car, the silence between them heavy and suffocating. Bondita reached for the door handle, and as she tried to step inside, her foot slipped on the uneven surface.

Instinctively, Anirudh was quick to act, his arms wrapping around her waist as he caught her before she could fall.

For a brief moment, they were locked in each other's gaze, their proximity drawing them into an unspoken connection.

His hands lingered on her waist, the warmth of her skin against his palms sending a wave of something he couldn't quite describe through him.

But before he could savor that moment, Bondita's voice, firm and almost cold, broke through.

" Kya aap mujhe chhodenge? " she asked, her tone devoid of the usual warmth he was so used to from her.

Anirudh blinked, mentally chastising himself for holding her longer than necessary. " Haan, sorry, " he mumbled, quickly helping her sit comfortably inside the car.

As he walked around to the driver's seat, his mind was racing. Why was I like this around her? Why does my emotions take control every time?

He could see her hurt, feel her slipping away, and yet he struggled to express the depth of what he truly felt for her.

Bondita sat quietly, her arms crossed, her gaze fixed out of the window, not sparing him a glance. The engine roared to life, and Anirudh gripped the steering wheel, glancing at her once more.