MOMENT OF PEACE

The room was wrapped in a thick silence as one hour had passed, yet sleep seemed to elude both of them. Anirudh lay on his side, facing Bondita's back, but his mind was far from peaceful.

He was too aware of her presence on the bed beside him. Similarly, Bondita was wide awake, her body stiff with tension.

Sharing the same bed had made them both hyper-aware of each other's proximity, making it impossible for either of them to relax.

Anirudh shifted slightly, trying to find a comfortable position, but every movement felt magnified in the stillness.

Bondita noticed the small shift, her breath catching in her throat as she sensed him moving. Her heartbeat quickened when she heard him whisper, " Bondita..."

His voice was soft, almost hesitant, as if testing whether she was awake. Bondita's back straightened instinctively at the sound of his voice, her body betraying her alertness.

She hadn't expected him to speak, let alone call her name in such a low, intimate tone. When she didn't respond immediately, he tried again, " Bondita... tum soyi nahi ho? "

Caught, Bondita took a slow, deep breath before reluctantly turning to face him. " Nahi... so nahi paayi, " she confessed in a quiet voice.

Anirudh looked at her, surprised and concerned. " Kyun? Tumhein uncomfortable feel ho raha hai? See, I told you, main neeche so jaata hoon. "

" I told you tum bed pe so jao, but tum sunti hi nahi ho," he rambled, clearly frustrated with himself, thinking he was the reason for her discomfort.

His constant self-blame annoyed her, and she couldn't help but think, Why does he always assume he's the problem? Before he could go on further, she reached out and pressed her finger gently against his lips, silencing him.

The sudden contact made them both freeze. Anirudh's eyes widened slightly in surprise, and Bondita felt a jolt run through her body, the warmth of his lips tingling her fingertip.

Anirudh's breath hitched at the touch, and a strange, electric tension hung in the air between them.

Slowly, Bondita withdrew her hand, her heart pounding, and stammered, " Woh... aisa kuch nahi hai, Kopal. Main bas... so nahi paayi. That's all. "

Anirudh, still feeling the ghost of her touch on his lips, simply nodded, his gaze lingering on her for a moment longer before they both turned back, lying flat on the bed once more, staring at the ceiling.

Sleep felt even more distant now than before.

As silence settled between them again, Anirudh's mind began to drift, but this time, his thoughts pulled him back to their wedding and, more importantly, to the letter.

The letter that had changed everything. His heart raced as he remembered the contents, and before he could stop himself, he sat up abruptly, making Bondita sit up too, alarmed by his sudden movement.

" Kya hua, Kopal? Sab theek hai? " Her voice was laced with concern.

Anirudh didn't answer right away, his eyes boring into hers with an intensity that made her uncanny. Finally, he asked, his tone sharp and serious, " Bondita, tum Dalhousie jaana chahti thi? "

The question hit her like a bolt of lightning. She hadn't expected him to bring this up-especially not now, in the dead of night. How did he know? She stared at him, her mind racing, unsure of how to respond.

Anirudh's voice grew firmer, " Maine tumse kuch pucha hai, Bondita. Batao. "

Bondita's throat went dry, and she struggled to find the words. " Aa...aapko yeh kaise pata chala? " she whispered, her voice trembling.