twenty-nine

Laughter filled the room. There all around, surrounded by candlelight, there was a spark of magic along with the cold chilly evening.

"Piss off, Lauden. Why would you even mention that?"

"For obvious reasons. I want Jasper to know what she'd gotten herself into."

"She doesn't need you to tell her anything about me."

"Be honest, Jasper. He's a big grumpy arse-hole isn't he?"

"Lauden."

"Oh come on Will. She's got to get used to us sooner or later. Don't be alarmed, Jasper, if you hear a fuck you or suck my arse here and there. That's just the way Lio and I are around each other."

"He's a major headache and pain in my ass."

"Well, I could say the same about you. As many times as you invited yourself here with no invitation while trying to run away from her."

"Boys. Behave and mind your language." Both wanted to keep it up but at Willow's stern look decided it was best after all to let it go.

"I have to say that I'm really tickled pink by the two of you. How long have you known each other?" At her question, the two of them glanced at each other before Lio frowned.

"Entirely too long if you ask me."

"Oh come off it." Willow sighed and cut into her chicken.

"Since the two of them are incapable of answering you, Jasper, I will. We've all known each other for a bit over 100 years or so."

"Woww."

"If I remember correctly, the year was 1904? 1905?"

"1905." Lauden confirmed, lifting his glass of sherry to his mouth.

"What were you doing in 1905, babe?" She asked, clearly buzzing with curiosity.

"I was still a part of the Royal Family at that time. The House of Hanover had shifted with marriage to the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha through Queen Victoria's marriage to Prince Albert."

"Mmhm,"

"When the Queen died in 1901, King Edward VII briefly reigned until 1910."

"Spare her the history lesson and just tell her what you were doing for God's sake. Quit dancing around the question." Lauden quipped, cutting his eyes at him in annoyance.

"I was a bachelor who spent his days traveling."

"Oh."

"I fancied the States and frequented there a lot. It is there that Lauden and I met, in New Orleans."

"That's so cool."

"Not really. New Orleans had been suffering yellow fever outbreaks for five years. Thankfully, I was immune to human disease but it was rough watching mortal friends die because of it."

"I can only imagine, Lauden. I'm sorry."

"No need to be sorry, dear. Your darling mate here made life interesting again." Annoyed eyes drifted over to him as he ate some chicken.

"Wanna tell her where we met or should I? Nevermind, I'll do it. I met Aurelio in the seedy red light district. I was there to feed and he was there to... well... I'm sure you can piece together the next bit."

"As were you. Don't clean it up now that Willow's here. We both were dirty dogs."

""But you were dirtier than I. Dirtier than any dog I'd ever seen. If I knew then what I know now, I'd say you were full of rabies."