Chapter 20

_

As evening fell, Sarang and Dohwa helped their grandmother clean up the dinner dishes. When the kitchen was finally spotless, they settled into the living room, where their grandmother pulled out an old photo album.

She flipped through the pages, revealing pictures of Sarang and Dohwa as children, their parents, and even older photos of their grandparents when they were young. It was a trip down memory lane, and Sarang felt a deep sense of gratitude for the life she had been given.

But then, as they turned to a page with a photo of her and Sunghoon at one of their skating competitions, a wave of emotion hit Sarang like a ton of bricks.

The picture was from their early teens, both of them smiling brightly, medals around their necks. It was a time when life had been simpler, and they had been inseparable. Her chest tightened as the memories flooded back.

Her grandmother, noticing the shift in her demeanor, gently placed a hand on her shoulder. "You two were so close," she said softly, her eyes filled with understanding.

Sarang nodded, her voice barely above a whisper. "Yeah, we were."

The room fell silent, the weight of unspoken words hanging in the air. Her grandmother squeezed her shoulder gently. "You know, dear, some people come into our lives for a reason. Sometimes, they stay, and sometimes, they leave. But they always leave a mark on our hearts."

Sarang swallowed hard, fighting back the tears that threatened to spill. "I know, Halmeoni. It's just... I wasn't ready for our friendship to end like that."

Her grandmother pulled her into a comforting hug, her voice soothing. "It's okay to feel that way, Sarang. You've grown so much since then, and you've accomplished so much. You're strong, and you'll continue to grow. Don't let the past weigh you down."

Sarang closed her eyes, letting her grandmother's words sink in. It was what she needed to hear, even if it didn't make the pain go away entirely. She knew she had to move on, but it was easier said than done.

After a while, her grandmother released her, offering a gentle smile. "Now, why don't you and Dohwa go for a walk? The evening air will do you both good."

Dohwa, who had been quietly observing the exchange, nodded in agreement. "Come on, let's go. You've been cooped up inside for too long."

Sarang wiped her eyes and stood up, grateful for the distraction. "Yeah, let's go."

The two of them headed outside, the cool evening breeze brushing against their faces as they walked down the familiar streets of their grandmother's neighborhood. The sun had set, and the sky was a deep shade of blue, dotted with stars.

They walked in comfortable silence for a while, neither feeling the need to fill the quiet with words.

Finally, Dohwa spoke up, his voice gentle. "You're thinking about him, aren't you?"

Sarang sighed, knowing she couldn't hide anything from her brother. "Yeah, I am. It's hard not to. It's been a while"

Dohwa nodded, understanding in his eyes. "I know it's been tough, but you've got a lot of good things ahead of you. Korea's waiting, and so is the rest of your life."

Dohwa had been keeping a secret for a while now, one that weighed heavily on his mind. He knew exactly where Sunghoon was, knew that he had become a famous idol, a name that people all around the world recognized. Sunghoon's face was plastered on billboards, magazine covers, and TV screens, a constant reminder of the boy who used to be by Sarang's side.

Every time he saw Sunghoon's image, a pang of guilt gnawed at him. He wanted to tell Sarang, to finally reveal the truth that Sunghoon hadn't just disappeared into the void, but he was thriving, living a life that millions envied. But every time the thought crossed his mind, he hesitated.

The image of Sarang's bright smile and the excitement in her eyes when she talked about their plans to return to Korea flashed before him. He couldn't bear to ruin that, couldn't bear to see the light dim in her eyes because of the past.

He remembered the days when Sarang would bring up Sunghoon's name, her voice laced with pain and confusion, the questions that remained unanswered. It had taken years for her to even begin to move past it, to stop looking over her shoulder expecting to see him. How could he be the one to bring that pain rushing back?

So, Dohwa kept quiet. He buried the knowledge deep within himself, telling himself that it was for the best, that Sarang was finally happy, finally looking forward to something again. But every time he saw her, the guilt resurfaced. He knew that one day, the truth would have to come out, that Sarang would eventually learn about Sunghoon's fame, but for now, he wanted to protect her from that reality.

He could only hope that when that day came, Sarang would be strong enough to face it, to confront the past that still haunted her. Until then, he would do everything in his power to keep her smiling, to make sure that the memories of Sunghoon didn't overshadow the future she was so eager to embrace.

"I know," Sarang replied, her voice tinged with a mix of hope and uncertainty. "I just need to let go of the past."

"You will," Dohwa said confidently. "And when you do, you'll be even stronger for it."

Sarang smiled, feeling a little lighter after their conversation. They continued walking, the night air clearing her mind as they made their way back home.

When they returned, their grandmother was already in bed, leaving them to quietly retreat to their rooms. Sarang felt exhausted, both physically and emotionally, but she also felt a sense of closure that she hadn't had before. As she lay in bed, her thoughts drifted back to Korea, to the life she was about to start anew.

Tomorrow, she'd begin packing in earnest, preparing to leave behind this chapter of her life. But tonight, she allowed herself to rest, knowing that she was ready to face whatever came next.

And as she drifted off to sleep, she whispered a silent goodbye to the past, finally ready to embrace the future.

_