Chapter 5

_

The next day, Sarang was feeling much better. It was Saturday, so she had no school and was just chilling in her bed, scrolling through her phone. She was surprised to see so many text messages from her classmates asking why she had left school early, and specifically from Sunghoon. She was replying to her friends' texts when she heard murmuring from downstairs. She thought, *Oh, we must have guests over.*

After a few seconds, her bedroom door was knocked on, and her mom appeared, smiling at her.

 "You have a visitor, honey," she said. With that, a smiley Sunghoon slid into her room, grinning.

She had somehow known he would come, but she did not expect him to come this early in the morning. She smiled at him, sitting up on her bed. Her mom left them and went back downstairs. 

Sunghoon approached her, smiling, then took her desk chair and sat in front of her bed.

"Hey," he said awkwardly.

"Hey," she replied shyly.

He broke the silence, asking, "How are you feeling now?"

She smiled at him. "I'm feeling better."

Her mom suddenly came to her room, asking Sunghoon if he had eaten breakfast.

"I haven't, but I was about to," he said.

"Well, Sarang hasn't eaten either, so I'll bring breakfast up here for both of you," her mom said before leaving again.

Sunghoon caught her up on what she had missed in class yesterday. Even though they weren't in the same class, he had asked her classmates for their notes and brought them to her. While they were talking and eating the breakfast her mom had brought, Sarang suddenly thanked Sunghoon out of the blue.

"Thank you so much, Sunghoon, for always being there for me. I'm not just talking about yesterday; you've always been sincere and kind to me. You're the best friend anyone could ask for," she said.

Sunghoon, not expecting her sudden confession of gratitude, smiled genuinely and said, 

"It's okay, Sarang. Haven't I told you that I will always be with you no matter what? What's with the sudden thank you's?" He laughed and continued, "We've promised we'll always be by each other's side during both hard and happy times, so it's nothing."

She blushed at his words feeling her heart beating faster with the happiness she is feeling right now, looking down at her hands, remembering yesterday's incident. She was still embarrassed that Sunghoon had seen her stained skirt, thinking he would be disgusted and would hate her for it. But seeing his reaction and open-mindedness made her want to cry

.

"I left you in the hallway alone because I was so embarrassed," she admitted, still looking at her hands.

Sunghoon placed his hands on hers and smiled. "Sarang, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. You know that, right? It's me, Sunghoon. Why would you be embarrassed in front of me? We've been through a lot together."

Still looking down, she said, "I thought you would hate me after that, and I was scared it would ruin our friendship." A single tear dropped onto her cheek.

Sunghoon smiled at her reassuringly. "What are you even saying, Sarang? I would never hate you. Even if you broke my skating shoes, I wouldn't hate you. Okay?"  He exclaimed jokingly. With that, he hugged her.

Both of them savored this sweet moment of their friendship. They were not usually the affectionate type when it came to being close; they always kept it simple between themselves;  and would even tease couples who were touchy with each other.

These two had been friends for years and secretly liked each other, though neither had confessed, thinking it would ruin their friendship. They respected and adored their friendship too much to take the risk. 

Despite being the most attractive people in their school, neither had dated or had a boyfriend or girlfriend. Many students had tried hitting on them, confessed to them, or even asked them out both verbally and through letters, but they wholeheartedly rejected them. People even started thinking that Sarang and Sunghoon were dating each other, but they were not. But then again their inseparable bond suggested otherwise.

_

The weekend finally ended, and a new school day began. Thanks to Sunghoon, Sarang had already caught up with what she had missed last week. She and Sunghoon arrived at school and headed to their respective classrooms. Once she sat in her chair, her annoying desk mate, Kang TaeHyun, turned to look at her suspiciously. She awkwardly glanced at him, then to the front, and then back at his eyes, confused by his intense gaze.

"Hi?" she smiled.

"You left school on Friday so you wouldn't have to present to the class, leaving me to do it alone, huh?" he questioned her, glaring.

She nervously chuckled. "Ah, TaeHyun, I was genuinely sick. Sorry you had to do it alone," she replied, feeling guilty.

He glared at her, not believing a word she said. "Were you really sick, Sarang, or were you pretending so we wouldn't present together?" he insisted.

She was at a loss for words when suddenly Sunghoon spoke out of the blue. Is this guy a ghost? she thought to herself. He would always appear out of the blue whenever she was about to argue with TaeHyun

"She told you she was sick. Why are you pestering her with the same question again?" Sunghoon asked TaeHyun, now glaring at him.

TaeHyun nervously looked away. For reasons Sarang did not understand, these two really hated each other. She had never seen them have a normal conversation. She once asked Sunghoon why he hated TaeHyun, and he just shrugged, saying he hated how TaeHyun acted around Sarang and how he treated her. 

But Sunghoon knew the real reason: TaeHyun liked Sarang, and that was the main reason for his hatred.

TaeHyun scoffed, turning around and murmuring to himself. Sarang laughed at his pettiness and turned to look at Sunghoon, who had come to return her binder that he had borrowed. 

He also placed a small strawberry milk on her desk, then left her classroom with a cheeky smile.

She smiled at him. It wasn't unusual for them to give each other small things. They had always done that. Whenever one of them forgot their lunch card, they would share their food. Sunghoon had always been so sweet to her. 

I mean how could she not fall for him? It was inevitable. 

A lot of girls were jealous of the attention he gave her, and the same went for the guys when it came to her.

_