Chapter 2

_

The second day came by quickly, just as Sarang had hoped. She woke up with an excited grin on her face, eager to start her figure skating journey. Determined not to be late, she woke up early. Sarang had taken ballet classes up until last year as a summer activity, but she decided to switch to figure skating after discussing it with her parents. Her ballet skills would come in handy, so she wouldn't be a complete beginner. Additionally, she had learned to balance and coordinate on the ice by attending winter festivals with her parents every year. All she needed to do now was learn the basics and apply her skills.

After quickly eating her breakfast, her mom dropped her off at the academy. As expected, she was early. Sarang was a punctual person, even in school. Since she arrived early, she decided to look around until the students and Ms. Do arrived. While exploring, she discovered that the academy was quite large, with not only a big ice rink but also football and basketball grounds with large seating areas. To her surprise, it was a school with a big campus.

She went and sat in the seating area of the basketball field, staring at the court in front of her. It reminded her of her brother, Kim Dohwa, who was three years older than her. Dohwa, now 12, loved playing basketball and was the opposite of Sarang-sporty and energetic. Like his sister, he was also a good-looking young man. Remembering the time Dohwa accidentally hit her head with a basketball because she refused to play with him, she hissed and sighed in disappointment. Lost in her thoughts, someone approached her. She glanced up to see Sunghoon walking toward her with a cheeky smile.

"Good morning," he said, "Are you excited for your first day?"

Sarang smiled, her dimples catching his attention. "Aww, your dimples are cute," he remarked, causing her to giggle more. "Yes, I'm very excited," she replied enthusiastically. "I'm ready to start."

She watched as he sat down next to her, so she continued "I used to do ballet, it should help with my figure skating."

Sunghoon's eyes widened with excitement. "Wow, that's so cool! You'll be an expert right away," he exclaimed. He then shared, "For me, the ballet technique was the toughest part of my training. It took me the longest time to get it right. So it'll be much easier for you to learn quickly"

That only brought her hope even more in her excitement, so she just smiled.

After they talked about this Sunghoon suddenly mentioned that he plays basketball. Which again reminded her of her brother. So, they talked about their siblings and parents.

They continued talking about their families. Sunghoon mentioned he had a younger sister, four years his junior, and Sarang talked about her brother.

"I come to the academy early because I like the morning air and practicing alone when no one else is around," Sunghoon explained when she asked him why he is alone at this hour.

After talking for a while, it was time for Sarang to head back to class, so they bid each other goodbye.

As she expected, Sarang was familiar with most of the basics, thanks to her previous experience. It was essentially a matter of refreshing her memory and connecting the dots, which she found fun since she enjoyed challenges. Her class ended around 1 pm, and her mom picked her up.

And like that two weeks passed, and Sarang became more familiar with the academy and its routines. Her friendship with Sunghoon also grew, to the point where they even began teasing each other as if they had known each other for much longer.

After her mom picked her up from the academy, they headed straight home. Sarang showered and ate her lunch. Having practiced one of the toe jumping moves, the Lutz, she was a bit tired and spent the afternoon lying on her bed, reading a book.

Her mom suddenly knocked on her door with a small smile on her face. She sat on Sarang's bed, caressing her legs before speaking.

"How's figure skating going?" she asked, though she always did.

Sarang replied with the usual, "It's going well, Mom."

"You have to take it easy; you know. It's just a hobby," her mom reminded her gently before getting to the point.

After a brief second her mom gets to her point. "We're moving to a different house next week," her mom said, "and you'll have a room with your own balcony. "She added to make her feel a bit excited

Although Sarang loved their current house, she was excited about the new one. But what her mom said next displeased her.

"You and your brother will also have to move to a different school, which is closer to the new house," her mom continued. Sarang was unhappy about changing schools, fearing she would have to leave her friends and that it would be hard to adjust.

Seeing her frown her mom added "You'll make new friends there, maybe even a best friend," her mom comforted her. With that, Sarang calmed down but still pouting.

The move-in day came, and Sarang felt a mix of excitement and sadness. The new house was close to her figure skating academy, which was another perk of their new house. She said goodbye to her old room and house, and once they arrived at the new house, she loved it immediately. The two-story house which is relatively much bigger than there last one and the neighborhood were charming. Her parents had already assigned rooms for her and Dohwa, so they wouldn't fight. Sarang's room faced the neighborhood, while her brother's faced the front yard.

As it was the weekend, Sarang didn't have classes at the academy and was free. Their rooms were mostly set up by their parents, so the kids didn't have much to do except rearrange things to their preference. After a while, Sarang and Dohwa decided to explore the neighborhood.

While walking around, they approached a park with various playground activities. Dohwa quickly clicked with the kids there and started playing and running with them, while Sarang sat and watched, feeling bored. She began moving around the area, admiring the trees and flowers, not paying attention to where she stepped, and tripped, falling to the ground.

A kid ran up to her and helped her stand. To her surprise, it was Sunghoon. They both stared at each other before bursting into laughter.

He helped her wipe up her dress still laughing "What are you doing here?" Sunghoon asked.

"We moved to this neighborhood," Sarang replied not believing she met him here.

With that he said "Oh, I live just a few blocks away," Sunghoon said, smiling.

_