Mates! Mates?

Eli

There is an unbelievable ache in my head, pounding with my heartbeat when I finally wake up from the darkness that clouded my mind.

I groan and roll over and instantly I
regret that. My neck aches with a thudding pain. Opening my eyes I'm met with blinding yellow lights on the ceiling.

"Fuck that's bright.." I complain out loud.

"Sorry.." a soft voice comes from the right of me, her voice is enchanting. No sooner than when I hear her, she moves and the lights flash off, all but one light in the near corner of the wooden room.

I open my eyes again, slowly adjusting to the lamp light. My gaze lands on her slender frame walking over from the light switch and then towards the couch across from me.

Mate, mate, mate!! My wolf Blake screams in my head, his voice incessant with my thoughts.

Wait, what- no that's... I thought I'd never have a mate... I reply back to Blake. I'd come to terms with this since last year. This was my last year to find a mate..

She's breathtaking. I can't stop staring at her. I'm not sure how long our staring contest lasted until she flushes under my gaze. What do I say to her? Does she feel this too?

Don't be an idiot, Blake says, just say something.

"So.. Hello. I saw a grey wolf attack you, this is why you're in my domain. Unnecessary attacks aren't my go to, but I fended it off." Her voice is soft but fierce and I can't help but wonder where that fight came from. I want to know her whole story.

"Hello, mate," I grin. "Thank you for allowing me in your domain." An uncommon need to respect her space flows from me when I show my gratitude..

Way to put it on, Blake laughs in my mind, simp!

Ashely-

I swore I stopped breathing. Mate? ...Him?

Mates are special, they're supposed to love you unconditionally and be your match in every way. And the same vise versa.

His laugh brings me out of my thoughts. It's deep and joyful, soothing parts of my soul I didn't know were a Sea of emotions. Wow.. I could loose myself in his voice, his presence is another for my mind to wander. My eyes dip towards his pants and dart right back to the fire place in the corner.

Oh god. Ashely, keep it in your pants. I should say something. What?

"Mates?" My voice is rough and .. accidentally sensual. Oh goddess.. palm moment, is this all you can say?

His eyes soften into an unreadable emotion. An emotion I choose not to share.

He seems to think of something to say until, "We're mates." Like that explains everything.

I never thought I'd have a mate, especially now with my already pre-chosen fate. Do I want one? I mean, I can't choose anyway. I have one right now. But with Alpha ass on my tail and his hunting party up my .. can I subject his pack to this? Undermining all my traumatics, can I allow him to go through the unknown threat with me? Would he want too?

His smile falters slightly, "Are you..." he tracks off but then finishes, "okay?"

Sure, I'd love to fall in love with you because we're supposed to be in an epic romance but I have to kill these unknown monsters because my moms the moon goddess and it's my destiny. Yes, I am 100% okay!!