9

third person

after the longest week of pure hell, maddie's discharge date finally arrived. she listened to everyone and just minded her business and told them what they wanted to say hear and it did the trick.

as soon as she was handed her phone back she wasted no time typing gus' number into a new text message, she took extra care to make sure none of the numbers got washed off.

maddie
i'm free!

gus
when are you coming over?

maddie
when can i?

gus
now?

maddie
as long as you promise i can shower with a real shower instead of the stupid hospital ones

gus
lol deal
gus started sharing location

maddie ordered an uber straight to his place. she'd never felt addicted to a person like this before. she just needed him around.

although their friendship started out fairly innocent, after that night on the common room couch he was all she thought about. maybe friendship wasn't the word anymore, because friends don't do that.

"thanks!" maddie said to the uber driver, getting out of the car.

maddie followed gus' instructions to punch into the code panel to get into the building, buzzing into his apartment. he must have been waiting, as her request was granted straight away.

she hit the fifth floor elevator button, dropping her off to find apartment 515, which was his.

she knocked on the door, which was answered after just one tap.

without wasting a second, she launched herself into his arms, "i missed you so much" she told him, "i've been waiting for this" he said, allowing her to lower herself back to the ground.

"can i shower please? i may have missed warm water and water pressure more. im not sure" she joked, gus smiled. it was nice to see her smiling and happy.

"go ahead, i'll grab you towels" he said, turning to the small linen closet in the hallway. "here" he handed them to her.

"also, do you have clothes or something i can borrow? all i have is what i had for admission and it needs to be washed" she asked, she didn't really think about any of these things. she was only thinking about seeing him.

"yeah ill find you something, ill throw these in the wash for you whiten you shower boo" he took her bag from her, letting a little pet name slip.

maddie noticed but didn't comment, just smiling at him. he handed her a tshirt and a pair of boxers to wear, which was really the best he had to offer at the moment.  "i'll be in here whenever you're finished" he told her, pointing into his bedroom door.

his bedroom which he tried to clean for her, but it still looked pretty bad. there was stuff everywhere.

he made one last ditch effort to make things look a little more organized while he could still hear the water running.

once it shut off he tried to play it cool, really he was sort of nervous and felt like she was way too pretty for him. did she even think of him as more than a friend?