Chapter 3 - Friends and Foes

Disclaimer: This chapter contains mature content, including scenes of intense violence, graphic imagery, and horror elements. Reader discretion is advised. The content may not be suitable for younger audiences or those who are sensitive to such themes.

Arjun slowly regained consciousness. The world around him seemed to blur into a distorted mosaic. As he tried to move he felt a tight grip around his wrists. The long pole, which once served as a streetlight pole now served to bind him. He attempted to move again but the restraints held him firmly in place. Panic surged in him and his eyes darted around.

He felt a cold metal touching his face. He felt his breathing comfortable every time he started to exhale. The dryness he felt in his throat the moment he arrived in this dystopian world vanished. His vision got blurry every time he exhaled, but the air he inhaled became more comfortable. The rigid structure of the military-grade mask hugged his facial contours.

Arjun's eyes darted around the surroundings. He noticed the presence of others; a group of individuals wearing military-grade masks. Arjun was puzzled when he noticed the unusual changes seen in their bodies.

A woman in her thirties, etched with scars that spoke of battles fought and won. She dressed in practical, worn military gear. An assortment of guns and ammunition strapped around her military physique. Bullets and clips adorned her tactical vest, and the rifle was swinging in her back. The stock nestled comfortably against the contours of her sturdy frame.

A prominent feature in her arsenal was the mechanical right arm. The sleek yet menacing mechanical arm was equipped with deadly blades that could be ready for action at a moment's notice. Her aura exuded authority, and her gaze held the weight of a leader who had seen the world crumble around her.

The woman noticed Arjun was awake and his futile attempts to free his hands. She turned her attention toward him. Arjun, gripped by fear, apprehensively watched her approach. She kneeled and fixed a sharp gaze upon him, assessing him thoroughly.

"Apologies for the rough introduction. Safety first, you understand. Now, Who are you? How did you find yourself in this toxic place?" the woman said, in her firm yet somewhat sympathetic tone.

"I'm Arjun" he replied.

He paused and looked around, and continued, "I honestly have no idea how I got here. One moment, I was in my lab conducting my experiment...But it got..."

Arjun groaned with pain, "Aah, my head."

He looked around once again panicking and continued, "What's going on here? What the hell happened to this place? And those monsters... What the hell are those things? And who are you people?."

Arjun still shook with the pain in his head.

The woman replied, "Easy, easy... Take a deep breath, Arjun, Right? I'm Serena, the leader of this ragtag bunch. But first things first, we gotta figure out if you're one of us, so let us check your mutation level."

Arjun, still bewildered, "One of you? mutation level? What the hell are you talking about? I seriously have no clue what's going on here."

Serena, offering reassurance, "Okay, let's start from the beginning. We're from Base 7. I haven't seen you around there. So, from which base are you from?"

Arjun was confused and asked, "Base? What do you mean by base?"

The whole team exchanged puzzled glances, their confusion evident. A man with a hulking figure in his late twenties approached Arjun. He said, "We meant which survival base camp, you stupid." Arjun noticed the man's Russian accent.