Chapter 4 - Enter the Base 7

As the team stepped through the massive door, Arjun's heart raced at the sight of dried blood stains on the lead surface. Deep scratches, carved by the monsters' claws, marked the door as if it were a canvas and they had painted a scene of chaos. As the group moved inside, the heavy door began to close with a loud creak that echoed around them. Arjun glanced back, watching the destruction outside slowly disappear as the door sealed shut. For a moment, he was swallowed by darkness until his eyes adjusted to the faint lights on the ceiling. What he saw next left him in awe – it was like stepping into an entirely different world hidden within these walls.

He couldn't help but mutter, "What in the world is this place?'"

The team ignored his question and continued ahead. Arjun heard a loud bang, signalling that the door had been sealed tightly behind them. He also noticed the two people at the entrance had followed them inside and were now climbing a ladder near the door, leading to the ceiling. After a short walk, Serena decided it was time for them to reveal their faces. One by one, the team removed their masks.

Serena turned towards Arjun and explained, "Welcome to Base 7. Our stronghold, like others, purifies the air to fend off toxicity. So you can give the mask to Hiroshi since you won't be venturing outside anytime soon." Arjun complied, passing his mask to Hiroshi.

As they moved, a man with tentacles instead of legs crawled toward Serena. In a voice full of desperation, he said, "Shukran lillah(Thank you, God), Serena. Please tell me you've found the medicine. My son's condition is worsening rapidly. They're talking about having to kill him if it continues." Bowing down, he implored further, "The rations for two months haven't reached us. Please, we need your help."

Arjun was stunned at the mention of 'killing.' He quickly glanced at the team, his face full of fear, but their expressions remained cold and unshaken as if this was routine for them.

Serena responded, "I'm sorry, Malik, but we couldn't locate the vaccines. As for the rations, the Chief is doing everything possible to ensure supply. You're aware of that, right?" Arjun noticed a shift in Serena's usually composed expression, replaced by sorrow.

After a pause, she gently lifted Malik's face and held his arms. With a deep breath, she added, "Don't lose hope, Alright?"

Malik slightly nodded and in Arabic prayed, "Allah yarhamuna wayunqidhuna min hadha aljahim(May God have mercy on us and save us from this hell)."

Regaining her composure, Serena signalled the team to continue moving and led the way. Each team member expressed concern with sympathetic looks as they passed Malik. As Malik quickly crawled back to his family wiping his tears.

Arjun, still under the terror of the things happening around him. He inquired, "Why did he say killing?"

Serena replied, "Because, without the vaccine, that's the only way."

Arjun inquired, "Vaccine? What's this vaccine you talking about? Is it the polio vaccine?"

The team gave an odd look at him. Arjun ignored them and asked them again.

Serena said, "No, It's not for polio. It's the vaccine that we used during the pandemic."

"Pandemic? What are you talking about? Do you mean The Flu?" Arjun asked.

"No, The Fauxvid," She replied.

"Fauxvid? What's that? Is he affected by that?" he asked. The team gave him another confused look. But Arjun ignored it again.

Zuri replied, "I told you, something is wrong with his head."

Serena sighed and turned towards Arjun to answer him.

"No, he's not," Serena replied with a low voice. Serena continued, "Without its vaccine, you can't regulate the mutation level."

Hiroshi with a low voice said to Serena, "I think we should have told him the truth. The kid's mutation level crossed sixty per cent. There's no use even with the vaccine now. All we can do is give him a painless death before..." He took a deep breath and continued, "Before it's too late."

Serena lowered her head and said, "I know. But I couldn't. I couldn't take away the only hope they have." The team fell silent.

Arjun found himself at a loss upon hearing about the pandemic and the Fauxvid virus for the first time. It was his first time hearing about this. As he was about to voice another question, he noticed a tear gliding down Serena's right eye, tracing a path along her cheek as she concluded her sentence. She immediately wiped the tears off her cheek, regaining her composure. Observing Serena's tears, Arjun refrained from asking further questions. He opted to stay silent and gradually absorb the information he had gathered till now.

The team started moving towards another door inside the base. The team halted by the large door. Serena directed her attention to Dmitri and Zuri, "You two can head back and get some rest. Don't forget to monitor your levels. Do you have the emergency cure with you?"

Both nodded.

She added, "Good. If anything happens, don't hesitate to use it. Hiroshi and I will report to the Chief. Be at the training room tomorrow at the usual time." Dmitri and Zuri nodded before heading back, stealing glances at Arjun on their way.

Arjun stood by the door, and as Serena signaled to move, his heart raced in anticipation of who he would meet on the other side.