Chapter 1 - The Experiment

Disclaimer: The names of countries, wars, and companies mentioned in this story are purely fictional and should not be associated with any real-world entities. The content is intended for entertainment purposes only and does not reflect any real-world events or organisations.

Arjun stood in the middle of an endless void. He turned around, but all he could see was darkness stretching out in every direction. The darkness seemed to be closing in on him, swallowing him whole. As he started walking deeper into it, his footsteps made no sound. His heart tightened as he began to run, but it was eerily silent. He couldn't even hear his own footsteps or voice. He was shouting, but the silence was absorbing his cries. Only the terrifying darkness and chilling quiet stared back at him.

Suddenly, he stumbled and fell to the ground, landing in a thick liquid that came up to his knees. His vision started to clear as a light flashed from below. Arjun froze in horror when he realised what he was seeing—it was blood.

A menacing laugh echoed through the darkness. Panicking, Arjun tried to get up but slipped again, feeling something lying beside him. His heart sank when he saw a body partly submerged in the blood. 

"Victor," he whispered. 

Turning around, he spotted another one. "Dee." 

Fear surged through him as he scrambled to his feet. The pitch-black void had transformed into a sea of blood, with countless bodies floating around him. His heart pounded so loudly it echoed in his ears.

Suddenly, he felt an overwhelming urge to look behind him. He tried to resist and run, but his legs were trapped in the sea of bodies. Finally, he gave in and turned around. The moment he did, something lunged at him, its bloody teeth bared and a hungry growl escaping its throat.

Arjun woke up, gasping for air, as the first light of the day broke through the window, gracing his face. He squinted his eyes, as he felt a pounding headache. He lay down, still processing the nightmare he had. It was not the first time he had this nightmare. Arjun shifted to the side and picked up his phone. His blurry eyes gradually focused on the date. He sighed and laid his head back, groaning, revealing the reality of the upcoming day.

"Oh shit, today's the day," he muttered to himself.

It was the day of the grand experiment that could either change the world or bring its downfall.

A distant mixer hummed in the kitchen. Arjun noticed a figure peering into the refrigerator. He slowly tried to get out of bed, but his head and body hurt like crazy. When the man saw Arjun, he grinned, poured the juice into Arjun's favourite cup, and walked over.

"Good morning, princess," he greeted, handing Arjun the cup.

"Hey, Victor, what's the time?" Arjun asked, still dealing with his throbbing head. 

Victor sat in a chair across from Arjun and checked the clock. "It's 7... buddy, what were you thinking, getting drunk? You do realize today is the most important day for both of us, right?"

Arjun stayed silent, bowing his head. 

Victor observed Arjun's demeanour and asked, "Is everything alright... with Dee?" The air filled with unspoken emotions as Arjun heard the name. His face turned red, and he tightened his grip on the cup. The memories of yesterday and the pain they brought resurfaced as he clenched his teeth.

"Nothing," he sighed.

Victor noticed Arjun's expression but decided not to pry further. "Anyway, drink this. I don't know how alcohol hits you in India, but here in the United States, your head will feel like it's about to explode."