Chapter 4

Jake drives himself and Dylan to the Kazansky home the next day. When they get there, they see Ice and Sarah's grandkids running around the front yard.

They go and knock on the front door, and Sarah answers. Dylan can immediately tell that something was wrong.

"Hey guys." Sarah says

"It came back, didn't it?" Dylan asks as Sarah lets her and Jake inside.

Sarah nods and says, "Nobody knows. There is nothing else they can do. Speaking is painful now for him." She leads them to the kitchen.

"How long does he have?" Dylan asks as she holds Sarah's hand with tears welling up in her eyes.

"Not long. If we're lucky, another 2 months." Sarah says before she looks at Jake. "He wants to talk to you first, Jake. He's in his office."

Jake nods and says, "Okay." He kisses the back of Dylan's head before walking off.

"Coffee and girl talk while we wait?" Sarah asks

"That sounds great." Dylan says with a small smile.

Jake went up to the door of Ice's office and knocked twice before opening it. Ice was looking out the windows behind him before turning and smiling.

"You wanted to see me, sir?" Jake asks as he stands straight up in attention.

Ice looks at him deadpanned before typing on his computer and showing him.

I've told you before to call me Ice. Especially when we're in my home. You're family now.

Jake laughs. "Sorry, Ice. Old habits."

Ice nods with a small smile and gestures for Jake to sit down. Jake does so.

Ice turns back to his screen to type again.

I'm not going to be here much longer.

"Ice..." Jake starts to say before Ice holds his hand up. Jake didn't know what he would have said to Ice anyway. It isn't like he could say that Ice would be okay, everyone knew he wouldn't be this time around. There was no point in saying he would be okay, there was no point in having false hope. It's awful but it's true.

It's okay. I've made peace with it. I lived my life to the fullest and have very few regrets. I do have one request for you though.

"Anything."

Take care of Dylan. You make her happier than I have ever seen her and it is as clear as day that you two love each other. My passing will hit her hard. Be there for her. I know you promised me that you would take care of her when you asked for my blessing, but promise me again that you will take care of her and make her happy.

"I promise you, Ice. I will take care of Dylan to the best of my abilities." Jake says looking directly into Ice's eyes.

Ice smiled and looked relieved. They talked a little bit more about work topics and Ice telling Jake a few stories from his flying days before Jake left the office and sent Dylan in per Ice's request.

Dylan knocked twice and walked in. "Hey, Uncle Ice." Dylan says with a smile. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

Ice looked at her with a smile before motioning for her to sit down. She sat down as he turned his computer to show her what he typed.

I want to talk about your father.

"We don't need..." She starts to say but Ice points at the screen again with a stern look on his face. Dylan sighs and relents, "What about him?"