The Stories That Lie Within//prolouge

3 years ago:

A tear slipped down my cheek when I read his friend's text. It read,' You have to break up with Michael. He says the relationship won't work out anymore.'

All I thought about was how things were going to be different on Monday. How I wouldn't get a hug in the morning, or a kiss after school before he walks home with his friends. The thoughts stirred in my head as I looked up from my phone and out the window.

'Why?' I texted back.

'It lost a spark.' He text back.

The three words played over and over in my head in Michael's voice.

'It lost a spark, it lost a spark, it lost a spark.' It repeats in my head.

I thought what we had was love, that it was real and pure. But I guess I'm wrong.

'Are you ok? You didn't answer....' His friend says.

'Yea I'm fine,' I lie, I'm dying a slow painful death inside,' Am I supposed to do it or something? He's not texting me.'

I wipe the tears off my face and keep a straight face.

I am ok.
I am ok.
I am fine.
I can always talk to Angelica, my best friend, about this.
She's always here for me.

'Yea.. About that he says that he can't do it. He doesn't have the heart to. He says your sensitive so he doesn't want to break your heart.'

Lies. He just did.

'Alright.'

I go to my contacts and go to the 'babe' contact.

I'll have to change that.

I don't have a conversation with him anymore because he stopped texting me for a while.

Wouldn't it hurt to start talking to him again but the first thing I say is,' So you want to break up?'

I send it and close my eyes. 3 minutes later I get a text saying,'Yea I'm sorry. But we can be friends.'

Being a 13 year old I accepted that friend request.

'Yea ok. Just friends?'

'Yea. Just friends.' He says.

'I don't want things to be awkward though.'

'They won't be.'