Rufus

''....H-Huh?'' The imaginary flowery atmosphere around Raven, and her jovial reply threw the fourth madam off guard for a moment.

The Life and Death battle? Her puzzled expression mirrored the other members of the Langston family.

'Haha...' Feeling amused, Raven observed the fourth madam's reaction. She briefly guessed that it was the same for the others.

''Father rewarded me as a victor of the Life and death battle.'' Raven explained with the same smile. ''I requested not to attend the imperial academy as my reward.''

A realization dawned on the confused members of the Langston family at her words, including the fourth madam.

''I-I see.'' She expressed her understanding. ''It seems you've done your research well, fourth young lady.''

To think one could be rewarded by the grand duke as a victor of the Life and death battle.

'Perhaps I should have Estelle challenge her someday....' The fourth madam glanced towards her quiet daughters. A reward from the grand duke was very invaluable. The Life and Death battle was a risky one, but the fourth madam was confident in the abilities of her two daughters.

It should be easy for them to subdue the fourth young lady.

'And you always act like this family has nothing to do with you.' The fourth madam threw a condescending glance at the sixth madam and sneered in her heart. Like the fifth madam, she had always looked down on the indifferent sixth madam. Though most of her arrogance sprouted from envy.

Unlike her two daughters, who only took after her own features, the sixth madam was blessed with a child that took after their husband, the grand duke. And she was the wife with the lowliest background amongst all of them.

''Is there a reason not to attend the imperial academy? Sixth sister, you must have been aware of the fourth young lady's decision.'' The fourth madam was curious. She did not believe that Raven, a mere child, had taken the decision not to attend the imperial academy alone.

The other children of the grand duke have attended the imperial academy. Why would the sixth madam not take the chance of having her daughter in a prestigious place that her lowly background could never had dreamed of?

''Raven does not need another to make decisions for her future.'' The sixth madam replied curtly.

In other words, You're being too nosy.

''Y-You're right, sixth sister.'' The reply almost choked the fourth madam on her words. ''The fourth young lady is no longer a child.'' She understood the hidden meaning of the sixth madam's words. Though her heart bore resentment against the latter's rude reply.

How dare a mere maid speak to her like that? The fourth madam had never seen the sixth madam as someone with the same level as herself. If it wasn't for that day, there would never have been a sixth madam or even a fourth young lady!

''As long as you're aware of our family's reputation, fourth young lady.'' Fourth madam said, giving advice with a smile. '' It won't be pleasant for the nobility to be aware of your absence at the imperial academy. It might also affect your future marriage proposals.''

Nowadays, unmarried ladies that have graduated from the imperial academy married faster than unmarried ladies that did not attend the imperial academy.

The imperial academy had its own prominent history and graduates from such a place carried a respected status in the empire. Noble families valued daughter-in-law with good reputations, especially from the imperial academy for their sons and heirs.